Freestyle Libre and private health insurance

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Freestyle Libre and private health insurance

Postby carolynred » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Has anyone heard if health funds are paying a benefit toward the Freestyle Libre (reader and/or sensors), and if so, which ones? I have been in touch with my health insurer BUPA and they are unable to give me an answer yet. I have extras cover which includes medical aids and appliances - I have previously enquired about CGM and they do not cover this, but they do cover "blood glucose monitors". My DE also isn't sure and hasn't been able to find out. Many thanks in advance for your input!
carolynred

Re: Freestyle Libre and private health insurance

Postby scotta_74 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01 pm

I am also with BUPA and it was my understanding that they WILL cover up to $600 for blood glucose meters. Good luck and please keep us updated with your progress.

Scott
98% complete as of 26th January 1988!
scotta_74

Postby abs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:03 am

Some funds do cover meters, and some even cover strips under a separate item

However my experience is that they want a pre purchase dated letter from a medico (GP or Endo etc) basically confirming T1 - needed for BSL control blah blah blah

With my fund (CBHS) I get $500 every 3 years towards meters, and $320? per calendar year for strips - 70% rebate to those amounts (so $714.29 in meters / $457.15 in strips to fully exhaust those amounts)

But they will consider my Dexcom receiver and transmitter in the hardware component and sensors in the strips section

It's all about wording both your original question to them correctly and then submitting the claim
abs

Postby Be_T1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi All, I just wanted to check whether anyone had any further info on this issue? I was planning to order a Libre for the first time and Medibank private just told me over the phone that they can normally pay for the reader but not the sensor under the glucose monitor allowance but it would depend what is said on the invoice so I am not feeling 100% confident.
Be_T1

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START