Ran out of needles, so...

In this part of the Reality Check website, the moderators have saved discussion threads out of the rest of the forum which have addressed a popular issue containing terrific information, or threads that have generated a lot of discussion and which we feel people may well find useful to refer to in future.

Ran out of needles, so...

Postby nirvana » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:05 am

I just have a quick question

I ran out of needles for my novopen the other day, and was up too early to buy any from the chemist, so i reused one that i used the night before

Is it a huge deal to reuse a needle just once? Has anyone else had to do that at some point?

Thanks
nirvana

Postby nirvana » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:25 am

Oh and also, should i continue using the penfill now that i have put a reused needle into it?

Thanks
nirvana

Postby ali m » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:19 am

Depends who you talk to - the pen needle companies would suggest you change needles every time, however many people reuse the needle until it gets blunt, myself included.
I used to only change needle when I changed pen or cartridge. Never got an infection, and I used to inject through clothes as well.
Now I am naughty about pump sites. I am very careful when I'm setting it all up, but once I have one in I expect it to last 5-6 days at least.
ali m

Postby nirvana » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:59 am

Ah ok thanks for the reply

And yeah, the lancet companies i think also say to change it after every finger prick test... Yeah right.. lol
nirvana

Postby Anne » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 am

oh, er..., I change needle every time I change pen. I carry a pen with a needle on, or without one, in my bag in case my pump fails, so I end up keeping this pen for a long time and hardly ever change the needle, unless it got blocked. Never had infection ssue with it.
Before my pump I would change needle every 2-4 days, maybe.
Anne
Carpe diem
Anne

Postby artemis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:35 am

Before the pump I'd change needles when the cartridge ran out or the needle got too blunt - whichever came first.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Leah » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 am

artemis wrote:Before the pump I'd change needles when the cartridge ran out or the needle got too blunt - whichever came first.

Yup, me too.

Now I have the pump I have syringes in my hand bag as I am more likely to just chuck them after one use than remember to change the needle in a pen if it is sitting in my handbag for long periods of time.
Leah

Postby suspectinoz » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:10 pm

And I thought I was the only one, when I was on injections I'd change when it hurt, then when I put a new needle on it would go in sooo smooth I used to say to myself gee I should change it more often (I never did).

As for infusion site changes, being a newbie, I change every 3 or 4 days, I guess that will change over time too.
Cheers
Niall

(Diagnosed 11/2002)
(Pumping since 11/2009)
suspectinoz

Postby Tracey » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:36 pm

had to change my syringe the other day because not only was it blunt but all of the numbers and black lines had rubbed off... never had an infection, my friend who is also type one is adament about changing every time because she reckons she saw an ad once online i think showing small fragments of needle breaking off into the skin aftrer multiple uses.. as i said, i never had an infection
Dx 1995
Tracey

Postby stephiegab » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:15 pm

I change my needle about every 2 days...and lancets haha about once a year :s
stephiegab

Postby Jen (nli) » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:41 pm

When my brother was first diagnosed earlier this year he dutifully changed the needles on his pen after each injection. He was saying what a hassle this was... I couldn't believe he was doing that.

When I was on pens I used to change the needle when I changed the cartridge... never had an infection.

My brother now doesn't worry if he uses a needle a few times. May as well get some use out of them!
Jen (nli)

Postby Daniel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:35 am

I also seem to do the same of the others. I mostly inject through clothes too and I only change the needle when the cartridge runs out or when it becomes painful. :)
Dan
DX'd with Type 1 in 05
MDI; trying for a pump!
Daniel

Postby Kate » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:48 am

yes, weeks and weeks of reusing for me and no problems - there is a small risk of infection but i never had one in 20+ years of injecting through jeans etc etc and only changing needle when i changed the pen cartridge as jane and others have said. K
Kate

Postby Zanzi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:11 pm

I've jabbed through clothes and reused needles (syringes too) for 20 years and never had an infection. A healthy immune system can can handle a fair bit.

Problem comes when you jab the needle into your jeans leg and forget the coins in your pocket. Bent the needle doing that last week. Tried to straighten it and it broke. As I was out to dinner without any spares I just refused desert. Dinner was haute cusine (chicken with a sprig of Andaloosian Parsely Sprout - I made that up), so very few carbs.

My view is doctors and educators while they understand the technicalities, are the last people who should be telling anyone how to go about the daily routines of it all. They probably NEVER injected themselves or pricked their fingers, let alone repeatedly, over years, and so telling you to use new needles, swab (which I think is now not recommended) etc is just protecting themselves from liability, not helping you live a good life.
Zanzi

Postby Leah » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Ah yes the swabs. I have never bothered with them but my DE insisted that now I am using the pump and the cannula stays in for a few days it is necessary.

Turns out I am allergic to them! My DE was lost for words when I went back for a follow up and told her I hadn't used on since my first check up.
Leah

Postby doodah » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:38 pm

I cahnge my needles for my pens at the end of every day!!!!!
thinking differently now!!!
All they have to do now is invent re-usable BGL test strips and I would be a lot richer!!!!!!!!
doodah

Postby Candice » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Wow! When I was on mdi I would only reuse once or twice with my pens. Never reused syringes. Didn't realize I was being so anal! Never change my lancets though.
And I do expect a pump site to last at least 5 days.
*~SoRcReSs~* IDDM since 2000 at 16 years old
Pumped Medtronic 2nd Feb 09
Pumping DanaR 4th Nov 2013
Candice

Postby Kate » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Leah wrote:my DE insisted that now I am using the pump and the cannula stays in for a few days it is necessary.

~ 8 years pumping, maybe first 5 site changes, eons ago, involved swabs - no probs. the only time i have had a site infection was because i dropped the site on the ground in my crappy share house, neelde hit the ground, then in a hurry proceeded to use it - this was a long time ago in the days we were paying full price - and i was younger and stupider. ;) K
Kate

Postby Tara » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:14 pm

I am going to kind of contradict myself here but I am happy to reuse needles as long as they last. but Kate, you story about dropping the needle and using it, my god, i almost had to run to the toilet to throw up!!!! That kind of thing really grosses me out. I did change my needle "early" the other day becuase the lid of the needle ( I use a pen) dropped on the floor and I could not handle the fact that germs may transfer from the lid to the needle, into me. I had to skip my lunch time injection and wait till i got home to change needles becuase I could not handle the thought of the "foreign" floor germs! lol
Tara

Postby abs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 pm

my syringes tend to go clear before I swap it for a new one too

And I have no idea the last time I changed the lancet before changing it last week. It was just taking too many attempts to get blood

Now dialed the thing back a couple of notches and its vampire time every time
abs

Postby tantan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:18 pm

I must be a bit of an oddball because I change my needles reasonably frequently. I would use several a day on my NovoRapid, and a new one each day on my Lantus. I'm very forgetful, so my theory is once I put the needle on then when I take it off again I know I've injected. But often I'm just too plain lazy to take the thing off so then I get confused. I'm still not sure how many times I took my Lantus tonight. Guess I'll be doing a 3 AM test tonight... :-)

On another note, also related to this topic...

I went on a safari trip in Kenya and Tanzania a couple of years ago, and there was a lady on the trip from Canada who was a paediatric endocrinologist. She was astounded when she discovered how often I change my needles. But then she told me that diabetics actually have to pay for their needles in Canada. So my theory is that they say to reuse them where you have to pay for them, and not to reuse them where they're free! :-)

And I'm just as bad as everyone else with the lancets. I'll change it if someone wants me to test them, just to be sure some dried up old bit of my blood doesn't contaminate the result.

Cheers,
Tanya
tantan

Postby Kate » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Tanya - Long time since I have injected, but I understand there are pens that include a prompt to say when your last dose was. I used the first version of these years ago Innovo and it made a huge difference/help with remembering if I'd done my shots - they took Innovo off the market but someone recently told me there is a new version of something similar and even better now available - might be worht looking into? It is weird I know but I think it is very common to forget whether youve done your shot/bolus etc and may as well use the best available technology to help out with these things! K
Kate

Postby abs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 pm

the joys of these instant acting insulins is that you have your needle JUST before you eat... none of the old inject then wait 30 minutes etc

So I have mine just before I sit to eat. How do you forget ?
abs

Return to Solid Gold - Some of our Favourites!