Islet Cell transplant - I got the GO AHEAD!

In this part of the Reality Check website, the moderators have saved discussion threads out of the rest of the forum which have addressed a popular issue containing terrific information, or threads that have generated a lot of discussion and which we feel people may well find useful to refer to in future.

Islet Cell transplant - I got the GO AHEAD!

Postby Lee70 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:07 am

Hi all - I look around here very reguarly, finally, I have the time to post. I have exciting news .. I am going on the Islet Cell Transplant Trial! yes! so looking forward to it - it is a two year 'grooming' process but full steam ahead. The hospitals involved are very keen to take me on after reviewing my file. I am on a pump and have been on for 5 months - still not stable in the sugar level department and exercise is what triggers everything for me. So this is the next step. I was recommend for this trial by my endocrinologist and my diabetes educators are helping to push it all along. So thinking very positively toward a relatively free hypo futre. I currently experience between 4-6 hypos a day and have very limited hypo sensitivity it is all driving me nuts. I thought I'd pass on my good news. Cheers L
Lee70

Postby Catapult » Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 pm

That's great news Lee. I hope you will be a former D really soon.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby BenC » Fri May 30, 2008 7:01 pm

Do you know yet what the side effects will be from the anti rejection drugs etc.....

I was told its a rob peter to pay paul type thing with islet cell tranplants.
BenC

Postby Mel » Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Wow Lee how exciting, keep us up to date on how things progress.
Mel

Postby Kate » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Wow, Lee. Amazing - Please do keep us up to date. Lots of questions! Where are you having it done? What's the latest on the anti-rejection meds and their side-effects - I would assume the ones you'll be taking are an improvement on what the first Edmonton people took - any news on that? Any clues on how long it will be til you get your transplant - just waiting fro the call I suppose?? Good luck with everything - look forward to hearing more. Kate
Kate

Postby Lee70 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:38 am

Thanks for the enthusiasm - antiregection drugs will be a huge dose of Vitamin A & C with a possibility that I will become sensitive to sunlight, don't really know why. Heaps more to find out about, but the drugs are certainly different to the initial ones prescribed in previous transplants. It is a 2 year grooming period till the actual operation, well two operations as I have been told, lots and lots and lots of tests to be performed. Will be done at St Vincent's Hospital in Melbourne but will also be in conjunction with the Austin Hospital. I do know my immune system will be totally shot through. Supposed to all kick off in July. very excited, quite anxious but definantly a goer I think - I have nothing to lose so they keep telling me!!!
Cheers for now
Lee
Lee70

Postby Catapult » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Lee70 wrote:Thanks for the enthusiasm - antiregection drugs will be a huge dose of Vitamin A & C with a possibility that I will become sensitive to sunlight, don't really know why. Heaps more to find out about, but the drugs are certainly different to the initial ones prescribed in previous transplants.

Are you saying that the only anti-rejection drugs you are getting are based on huge doses of Vits A and C? That's incredible.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Lee70 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:14 pm

No, pretty positive there will be more drugs - I just don't know about all of them as yet.
Lee70

Postby Jen (nli) » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 pm

I do know my immune system will be totally shot through.

Hi Lee,

Congratulations, I hope it goes well for you. Just with regards to the above - does that mean that the procedure will impair your immune system? Does this bother you at all? This is one of the things that holds me back from transplants. That and anti-rejection drugs as they can also have their issues. I'm really interested in how it all goes for you so please keep us up to date with it all.
Jen (nli)

Postby Kate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm

I had the same question, Cat! Glad we clarified that!

Lee, another question, do you mean you start soon on a 2 year PRE-transplant program, so won't be eligible for your magical islets until 2010 or thereabouts? Wow, that is a lot of preparation but makes sense I suppose .... Interesting.
Kate

Return to Solid Gold - Some of our Favourites!