hypo signs that you might not interpret

In this part of the Reality Check website, the moderators have saved discussion threads out of the rest of the forum which have addressed a popular issue containing terrific information, or threads that have generated a lot of discussion and which we feel people may well find useful to refer to in future.

hypo signs that you might not interpret

Postby Catapult » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 pm

1. You can't fall asleep.

2. You aren't able to orgasm when you usually can, all the environmental cues are correct, your brain is in the right mode, and the service is beyond par. This is a real mood killer :(

3. You are vague and people are looking at you funny.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby artemis » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:53 pm

You feel vaguely uneasy and every little sound scares you (at night).
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby hallie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:08 pm

need to go to the loo, until you get there and realise you're not sure why you thought that at all
hallie

Postby Be11ydancer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:37 pm

You've SMSed your SO about what he/she wants for dinner more than once in the last 10 minutes.
Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching.
Be11ydancer

Postby Tara » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:31 pm

lol these are all so funny. I will add more as i think of them...
Tara

Postby Catapult » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

you pop into the supermarket just for milk and bread... and walk out unable to push the two trolleys you've loaded up.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Catapult » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:27 pm

you are in a meeting and almost smack the person who just HAD to keep speaking past the lunch hour.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Jen (nli) » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:20 pm

You are in a meeting and feel soooo tired that putting one's head on the table and closing one's eyes seems like a good idea. - so you go ahead and do it.
Jen (nli)

Postby Tash » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:24 pm

You pop into coles and walk past shelves and shelves of juice and chocolate... and then come out loaded down with:

7 massive bags of Dog Food (all different brands interestingly enough)
7 3lt bottles of milk
1 'Happy Birthday' cake

*hangs head in shame*
How many carbs in a donut? Image ...mmmh donuts!
Tash

Postby Jacs » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:26 pm

every single thing makes you giggle uncontrollably
Jacs

Postby abcde » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:36 pm

- Sitting there reading something like a newspaper. First its OK, but it becomes harder and harder until the time when the writing just becomes blurry and I can't just do it anymore. By that time whatever I am reading just means nothing anymore ... and the hypo has set in by which time the blood sugar is heading for the low 2s or high 1s.

- tingling eyes

- a body part such as an arm, a leg or the chest that becomes heavy and starts to tingle and feel like its going to sleep / ready to drop off.

- feelings of dizziness

- being ever so slightly wobbly and tripping while walking (even on flat ground where there is nothing to trip over other than one's own feet).

- being clumsy, slow and not remembering what I did even a couple of seconds ago.

- people looking at me as if I was a martian. I've been told its because I go pale as I loose the colour from my face. However I haven't been able to perceive anything as being wrong.

I've suffered a few doozy hypos in my time, but thank goodness have never fallen into a coma / blacked out after almost 10 years of diabetes. Its taught me to be aware of even slight symptoms and to act early. But it all goes with the job of being diabetic.
abcde

Postby l0vaduck » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:19 am

your sweat smells funny - sort of sweet - anyone else get this?
l0vaduck

Postby artemis » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:31 am

you get aggro with anyone who even suggests you may be hypo.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Zoe » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:26 pm

7 massive bags of Dog Food

The question is Tash....do you have a dog?!!
Zoe

Postby Kate » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:43 pm

I get he sleep one at number 1 defunitely. I like it. It's actually helpful! Like dont go to sleep, get up and sort yourself out :)

Another is having extra difficulty getting up in the morning, like being awake but just not getting moving. This is hard to pick as I hate mornings at best of times but when it gets ridiculous I sometimes remember to do a test and am generally low.

Cant say ive ever encountered the orgasm one but it makes sense, nervous system involvement and all that.

Good thread Cat :)
Kate

Postby Catapult » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:35 pm

You are staring, open-mouthed like the village idiot, into your fully-stocked pantry. You walk over and check in the fridge. You peer into the freezer. It starts to defrost and drip as you are there for so long. You go back to the pantry and try to concentrate on what could you POSSIBLY eat?

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Kath » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:39 pm

Hahaha Cat re the staring into the cupboard and fridge for so long! I do that so often and it drives my partner insane. He'll finally pick something out and I'll be continue to argue with him about whether it really does have enough carbs or the right GI to treat a hypo...
Kath

Postby Age » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:08 pm

You are at the gym doing weights and have to stop and check how many weights are on (thinking someone added some when you weren't looking) cause you can't lift the bar anymore!

Postby deviation72 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Catapult wrote:you are in a meeting and almost smack the person who just HAD to keep speaking past the lunch hour.

That's me! I now just walk out of those meetings or tell the offending over-talker that if they want a diabetic emergency on their hands, keep talking!
deviation72

Postby Tash » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:20 am

The question is Tash....do you have a dog?!!

Yeah Zoe.. I have two gorgeous little dogs ... that thought all their Christmases had come at once that afternoon! *grins*
Last edited by Tash on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many carbs in a donut? Image ...mmmh donuts!
Tash

Postby Catapult » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:36 am

When you see the queue to order food at the cafe counter, you get an uncontrollable urge to fight your way to the front. You have to exercise a lot of self-discipline to restrain yourself from pushing the person in front of you. When they hum and ha over the menu you think you just might scream.

You just feel so darn hungry and irritable when hypo, and people seem so SLOW.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby artemis » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:42 am

Someone asks you a simple question and you can't think of the answer.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby l0vaduck » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:57 am

artemis wrote:Someone asks you a simple question and you can't think of the answer.

Yep - such as "what day is it?"
l0vaduck

Postby Be11ydancer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 am

You go to post a reply to a thread on RC and just sit there looking at the 'Post a reply' screen while chewing on a fingernail.
Be11ydancer

Postby hallie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:45 am

Be11ydancer wrote:You go to post a reply to a thread on RC and just sit there looking at the 'Post a reply' screen while chewing on a fingernail.

while typing something completely unintelligible with the other hand, but you're certain it made perfect sense at the time
hallie

Postby Erin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:59 am

You present your SO with insane hypothetical questions... "would you still love me if I didn't have genitals?" (yes I said this once)

You suddenly become aware that your teeth are numb.

You walk into, and then back out of, 10 restaurants in a row, because they don't feel right.
Erin

Postby mfcr06 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:05 pm

funnily enough I can relate to most of these.

One in particular remains in my mind and will do so forever.

Coles shopping with my husband and then deciding he is an absolute idiot for picking the wrong brand of tomato sauce and then calling him every horrible name under the sun........needless to say, he camly got a packet of lollies and made me sit down and eat them.............I can be very very nasty when I go low.......
Fiona - T1D Mum of Blue and Pink
Surviving 34 years of T1D :)
mfcr06

Postby Catapult » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Erin wrote:You walk into, and then back out of, 10 restaurants in a row, because they don't feel right.

this happens to me a LOT. especially if i got caught out in a Shopping Hypo, realise I'm hungry (but not hypo) and start checking the cafes. None seem satisfactory. I feel a need to check another, and another. The menus swim before my eyes and I can't interpret quite what each dish would taste like. Then realise I'm low and I should just eat some glucose tabs. After that I don't feel hungry anymore and any cafe will do, and the choice of menu item becomes a lot easier.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby hallie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:50 pm

You walk into, and then back out of, 10 restaurants in a row, because they don't feel right.

i get so picky too, so here's mine:

You can't even stand the sight of a yellow lolly, let alone the smell or taste, and will under no circumstances allow one to be in the room while you are (sometimes reluctantly) eating the lovely pink lollies.

I can be very very nasty when I go low.......

me too, and that's why no-one should try to mess with the embargo on yellow lollies
hallie

Postby Be11ydancer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:10 pm

hallie wrote:
I can be very very nasty when I go low.......

me too, and that's why no-one should try to mess with the embargo on yellow lollies

I have an embargo on black jbs. I have put them in my mouth obediently because they were handed to me then spat them back out at The Bear.
Be11ydancer

Postby SE » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:34 pm

This has made me feel soooo normal. I remember standing at a food court at a HUGE shopping centre once when I felt really dreadful and could not for any logical reason decide what I wanted to eat, and being way past the point of knowing that it didn't really matter! It is a bit like staring at your bulging wardrobe thinking "I've got nothing to wear!" :(

I ended up having a lovely milkshake and made a promise NEVER to let my hypo stash in the car and handbag run out again.
SE

Postby LongRidge » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:31 pm

Driving home because I feel hungry, after forgetting that every vehicle (well, the 5 that I use) have hypo cures in them.
Eating what I've just found in the supermarket before paying for it.
LongRidge

Postby alca » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 pm

gosh, I can relate to a lot of these, especially not being able to sleep, and getting agitated at meetings that keep on going.

Another one of mine is that sometimes when low I suudenly feel all righteous and think "no I can't eat that, it's too sweet for me!" Crazy hey?
alca

Postby Kate » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:31 am

And while we're on this ... similar issue ... does anyoen get weird stuff happen after treatign the hypo with the surge of sugar + adrenaline formt the hypo I suppose - I find I have what seem like (and sometimes actually may be) sparks of brilliance, often D related given the hypo occupying my mind, but sometimes other stuff - liek a sudden surge of mental activity - anyoen else felt this?? Kate
Kate

Postby Catapult » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Kate wrote:I find I have what seem like (and sometimes actually may be) sparks of brilliance, often D related given the hypo occupying my mind, but sometimes other stuff - liek a sudden surge of mental activity - anyoen else felt this?? Kate

Yes, I get this a lot. I thought it was my natural creativity coming out? He he he. I call it the Genius Hypo. Suddenly everything seems crystal clear, wonderful ideas come shooting out and everyone thinks you are marvellous. You also feel a lot of energy and able to do a lot of things.

Do you think non-Ds feel like this every morning when they wake with a 4.0? How nice it must be...

Incidentally the Genius Hypo feels similar to a mild form of mania (unrelated to D) - at least for me.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Catapult » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 pm

back on the not realising you are hypo yet...

you feel a bit funny and are in a shopping centre. you decide it's time to go home and want to do the Right Thing and test before driving. the trouble is, you are looking into your handbag and can't figure out just which instrument you are meant to use. You rummage and take out each object... mobile phone. biro. lip balm. glucose tablets (these ring a bell but you keep going). keys. funny black pouch. wallet. back to the funny black pouch. maybe i should open it? oh, this looks better, feels familiar. yeah, that's right, i'll do a test. what a brainwave. 3.4, oh, now i understand. now, what do i eat? i think i saw something in here a minute ago...

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Kirsty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Again - standing in a large shopping centre due to go home and forgetting what door you came in and wondering where on earth the car is.

Not realising I am low - walking from entrance to entrance not recognising anything, starting to cry with frustration and realising I don't feel so great. BSL - yep low, eat etc.

bingo!!!! I remember where the car is.
Kirsty

Postby abcde » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:38 pm

If the hypo has been coming on slowly, a feeling of tiredness and/or laziness. Just sitting there and wanting to do nothing at all. Its especially bad in the evening when the first thought is it must be time to go to bed until it eventually dawns on me that I need to check my BSL.

A problem that I have with hypos, particularly if they come on fast (e.g as a result of a short-acting insulin overdose or I catch them when I am quiete low such as under 2.0) is this weird sensation that parts of my brain are going to sleep. Whats worse is when I get over the hypo, I don't overcome this, it takes a full nights sleep to overcome it. Its not a headache - there is no pain with it at all. It makes it quiet hard to battle on through the rest of the day. I haven't found an effective way of dealing with it yet and was wondering if others had similar experiences ...
abcde

Postby hallie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 pm

abcde wrote:I haven't found an effective way of dealing with it yet and was wondering if others had similar experiences ...

arggh, the hypo hangover... it makes me want to curl up in a dark place.

sometimes a sugarfree redbull works for long enough that i can just forget about it for a while, but also makes me a little bit shaky
hallie

Postby Jen (nli) » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:39 pm

I haven't found an effective way of dealing with it yet and was wondering if others had similar experiences ...

in a word - "Yes". Haven't really found a way of dealing with it. I am usually too busy to spend extra time in bed recovering from a hypo (although I'd sometimes love to do that) - so I just keep going and maybe have an early night. I guess I have got used to the feelings post hypo, as off putting as they might be.

Definately I will feel tired / lazy / sleepy with some hypos. In fact, if I am very tired during the day its usually a sign of a hypo.
Jen (nli)

Postby artemis » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 am

2 panadeine and 2 cups of medium/strong coffee (not instant). If all else fails, go back to bed. (Happened this morning, but the panadeine and coffee have worked.) I also find that eating some protein helps.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby sty » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:33 am

Feeling really high (like in the 20's) so you give a huge bolus to bring your bsl down without testing...only to discover after your bolus and after testing-that your BSL is actually 2.3- and you have to drink about 2 litres of juice to get it back up!
sty

Postby Bethylated Spirits » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 am

Yesterday I was walking around a store with my brother and suddenly my left foot was feeling tingly, and then it went numb, and i was going "hahaha, my foot is numb, this feels funny" and I just kept walking around. And my brother was like "Why is that funny? Why is your foot numb?" Which prompted me to question my numb foot a bit more and stop being so amused by it and I thought of this thread and I said, "Hey, maybe I'm low!" So I tested, and sure enough I was!
Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?!
Bethylated Spirits

Postby abcde » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi,

In one way its good to know that I am not the only one out there who has hypo hangovers. I have been living alone with my diabetes for a long time now. Whenever things like that come up I tend to feel that I am the only person out there who has to put up with it which by your responses I can see that's not the case at all.

I suppose the other thing that I've got to realise is that when it happens is that I've got to grin and bear it just like everyone else.

In relation to the other post about drinking two litres of juice when a hypo comes on - this sounds like an awful lot. Just check what you are drinking because there are some juices out there now that have had all the fructuse removed from them which means that they are totally useless in a hypo situation as they are incapable of raising your blood sugar.

My hypo cure is to go straight for plain white sugar which I carry with me in tablespoon sized sachets (i.e. typical coffee sized packets). If I have a hypo and my blood sugar is between 2.4 and 3 its three packets, if its lower its 4. I then follow this up with 3 cream biscuits about five minutes later and I am back on the straight and narrow again. Keeping myself to strict quantities means that my blood sugar does not spiral to a post hypo hyper.

I am still looking for a more effective hypo cure but haven't been able to find one to date. I'd be interested to know what others use to cure their hypos ...
abcde

Postby sty » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Ok here's a new one. Today, I was shopping in town and sat down in the mall for a break. Every person that walked by i thought "they are wearing such ugly clothes...fashion is totally disgusting at the moment and i wish people would wear proper clothes, I haven't seen one person wearing anything nice all day". I don't know if I said this out loud, but finally started to feel dizzy...2.5. Of course once I was back to normal, everyone's outfits looked 10 times better magically!

So I suppose when everything looks bad, or alot worse than it actually is, it could be the hypo fairy instead.
sty

Return to Solid Gold - Some of our Favourites!