Treatment of lipodystrophy with liposuction

In this part of the Reality Check website, the moderators have saved discussion threads out of the rest of the forum which have addressed a popular issue containing terrific information, or threads that have generated a lot of discussion and which we feel people may well find useful to refer to in future.

Treatment of lipodystrophy with liposuction

Postby LL Lambo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:04 am

Yes friends, I've just had a - not so extreme - makeover.

Because I was a bad boy for many years and didn't rotate my injecting sites all that well (read 'at all') after about 10 long years my lower abs resembled something akin to a swollen sponge.

This was very annoying, particularly after 3 years at the gym, where I was able to develop a 4 pack, but the spongy yucky stuff in the lower abs is very difficult to shift. This spongy - sometimes lumpy - condition is known as Lipodystrophy and one of the few treatments is liposuction. After consultation with Endo and then a plastic surgeon I was booked in.

Guess what? What Medicare didn't cover in hospital my PHI covered fully (yes, you read correctly). Here is a relevant extract re Medicare:

T8.70 Liposuction (Items 45584, 45585)
T8.70.1 Medicare benefits for liposuction are generally attracted under Item 45584, that is, for the treatment of post
traumatic pseudolipoma. Such trauma must be significant and result in large haematoma and localised swelling. Only on
very rare occasions would benefits be payable for bilateral liposuction.
T8.70.2 Where liposuction is indicated for the treatment of conditions such as pathological lipodystrophy of hips, buttocks,
thighs and lower legs (including knees), gynaecomastia and lymphoedema, Item 45585 applies. Claims for benefits under this
item should be accompanied by full clinical details, including full body pre-operative photographs. Where digital photographs
are supplied, they must also be accompanied by polaroid photographs. The claim and the additional information should be
lodged with Medicare, for referral to the Central Office of the Commission, in a sealed envelope marked ‘Medical-in
Confidence’. (See note 8.7 of the General Explanatory Notes.)

I had quite prominent swelling.

Anyways it's over a week since the procedure and the results are fantastic. I've got a flat tummy, I've got a flat tummy...

I have to wear a compression bandage around the tum-tum for a little while longer, but I feel great.

So just in case anyone else was out there thinking that this was not covered (this was what my Endo thought), I post my success story. Mind you I do have top hosp. cover, but not sure if this has much to do with it.

I did pay some out of pocket expenses for the plastic surgeon and the anaesthetist, but only a couple of hundred dollars.

Cheers.
Lambo

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
LL Lambo

Postby Tara » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 am

Wow thanks for that!! That was the impression I was under too. Thanks for sharing and Congrats on your succussful procedure! I am definatly going to get it done sooner or later to as my stomach is an embarrassing mess!
Tara

Postby Bella » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:12 pm

That is very exciting news!
So, do you think I could use the 'lumpy injection sites' on tummy as an excuse to have liposuction???
After 20 years of injecting in tummy, it's not too bad. Mine just looks flabby, but I don't really think it's from the injecting. Mines from having 2 babies, and putting on weight, and losing weight.... over and over again!!! (naughty me).
I would definately have liposuction if it didn't cost too much.

I had a breast reduction a year ago, I went from a size 'E' to a 'C', and I also had a lift, so they are quite perky!
Anyway, I only had to pay a few thousand $ as the doctor advised the plastic surgeon that it was for medical reasons, e.g. my sore shoulders, and back etc.

I definately recommend a breast reduction....... one of the best things I ever did!!!
Bella

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Bella wrote:I definately recommend a breast reduction....... one of the best things I ever did!!!

Yeah. Mine could probably do with a little work.
"I'm the bad thing that happens to good people"

Postby Spike » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Bella wrote:
I definately recommend a breast reduction....... one of the best things I ever did!!!

Yeah. Mine could probably do with a little work

Yeah nobody likes moob's
There is no good or evil in chocolate cake only choclatey goodness
Spike

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:14 pm

what means moobs?
"I'm the bad thing that happens to good people"

Postby Catapult » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Guest wrote:what means moobs?

i thought it was a variant of 'man boobs'

Cat
Catapult
admin

Postby Bella » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:04 pm

Ah Ha..... I was just wondering myself what 'Moobs' meant...... Of course!
Bella

Postby Ezza » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:18 pm

I thought it must have meant boobs that were like cows udders.
I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow
Ezza

Postby JacintaB » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:53 am

Hi Lambo,

I'm booked in to see a surgeon in early March, and I'm super excited! I too have been at the gym sweating it out, to no avail with the lower abs. I never even thought for a minute that this would be covered, nor did I realise that it may be due to the diabetes - there you go. I note that your post was from October, and just wanted to ask how the healing process / related pain was.

Jac
JacintaB

Postby LL Lambo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 am

Not October (that's when I joined Oct 05 - actually joined earlier than that, but that's when we flicked over to the new forum) - so only operated on a couple of weeks ago.

The update is all good. Belly looks flat. I'm pretty happy about that. I've stopped wearing the compression bandage thingy. I still have some minor pain, but nothing major. I can start doing some more serious exercising (i.e. back to the gym) in the next couple of weeks.

My surgeon was Mark Ashton and I cannot speak highly enough of him. He also does work for Interplast which he has my utmost respect for.

I feel great.
Lambo

LL Lambo

a better chest!

Postby cbunney » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:50 am

I have had diabetes for just over 3 years. After about 6 months injecting over my abs, I was very frustrated to see flab appearing and my ab muscles disappearing (I always had reasonable abs as i was a skinny middle-distance runner).

So I started injecting over my pecs (chest), and voula! I now have the appearance of bigger pecs and my abs are back!!!

Have any girls had the same effect?!
cbunney

Postby Em_nz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:18 am

Wow I never would have thought of injecting in the chest!

I wouldn't want to either - I imagine they're like the inner thigh, another area that's best to avoid... or I could be totally wrong, but I still wouldn't want to - I find boobs annoying enough without encouraging them to get bigger lol
The cure *could* be chocolate. I'm experimenting.
Em_nz

Postby Mel » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:59 am

I wouldn't be injecting into my boobs, lipodystrophy can consist of small hard lumps I wouldn't want to be trying to work out the difference between breast cancer and lumps from injections. Also I'd prefer to inject in simple fat rather than breast tissue.
Mel

Postby Anne » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:26 pm

We are only injecting in sub cutaneaous tissue and I have seen pictures of people inserting canulae in their boobs, but I cannot imagine doing this myself.
It s too sensitive and I cannot imagine what lumpy fatty bits would look like! Ouch anyway.
Carpe diem
Anne

Postby Catapult » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Mel wrote:lipodystrophy can consist of small hard lumps I wouldn't want to be trying to work out the difference between breast cancer and lumps from injections

i totally agree with this. sorting out false positives from potential missed tumours is a minefield

Also I'd prefer to inject in simple fat rather than breast tissue.

amen to that. breast has got to hurt. just bumping them can make you scream, not to mention the water retention you can get during your period, you can't even walk without them aching.

deliberately causing insulin lumps to even out your breast/pectoral tone sounds unjustifiable to me. guys don't inject insulin into their genitals to get that area bigger!

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby Mel » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:08 am

I had an email from a doctor in reply to the Yada story and link to this thread. I think he was concerned we'd all be running off for liposuction the moment we saw an injection lump, he wanted to make sure that we were all aware that "in nearly all cases" if you stop injecting into an area the hypertrophy will go away within a few months.
Mel

Postby coeliac2 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi, I have been reading all about lipo with great interest! I was joking to my husband a while ago about having lipo to get rid of my tummy bulge, but did not realise what it really was! Really surprised me to see how many other people have the same problem, makes me feel not so "weird" now! I was just wondering how the lipo affects your weight. I guess you would lose some just from the operation? Also wondering about the cost of Lipo (I don't have PHI) and if there is a waiting period. Does anyone know how long the procedure takes? Very interested in learning/hearing more on this subject! Thanks alot
coeliac2

Postby LL Lambo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:54 am

coeliac2 wrote:Hi, I have been reading all about lipo with great interest! I was joking to my husband a while ago about having lipo to get rid of my tummy bulge, but did not realise what it really was! Really surprised me to see how many other people have the same problem, makes me feel not so "weird" now! I was just wondering how the lipo affects your weight. I guess you would lose some just from the operation? Also wondering about the cost of Lipo (I don't have PHI) and if there is a waiting period. Does anyone know how long the procedure takes? Very interested in learning/hearing more on this subject! Thanks alot

My 'tummy bulge' was caused by injecting into the same place for too long (i.e. years). It was also kind of lumpy and in places quite hard...if it is real 'tummy bulge' it won't be covered.

Best advice is to get a referal to a good surgeon and take it from there.

Update: All going really well...no uneveness (is that a word) and no more pain. Back at the gym and hitting the sit-ups and cardio hard.
Lambo

LL Lambo

Postby Oldgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Mel, I used to inject into my thighs 30 years ago (the thought of doing it in my abdomen made me feel ill) and I still have "holes" in my legs. I was told it'd disappear in a year or two, but I'm still waiting.
Have had the big D since 1957.
Oldgirl

Postby artemis » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Me too, Old Girl. And the lumps in my tummy have been there for at least 5 years and counting ...
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby saints8 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi LL Lambo,

Just wondering after all these months how things are going ... still have the flat tummy?

Also are you now injecting at a different site, or are you pumping?

Hope its still a great success!
saints8

Postby LL Lambo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:39 am

Thanks for the interest. As those who saw me at the Diabetes Burnout session can attest - I'm looking good.

The 6 pack is almost back and to be honest I couldn't be happier with the result. Mind you I do hit the gym a few times a week. I may have to change my handle to LL Adonis.

Cheers.
Lambo

LL Lambo

Postby Tara » Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Lambo,

I am (semi) considering getting some lipo. Can you let me know how you are going almost 18 months on? Was it worth it? I will probably have to pay for mine so just want some first hand experience on whether its worthwhile? and if you would still consider it to have been worthwhile if you had of paid full price for it? Any nasty side effects? is your stomach still flat?

I have been at the gym for a year now sweating it out, I am so healthy, I have great legs, butt and arms, but I cannot budge that ab fat. I know a lot of people will think its silly, but I am sick of my stomach ruling my life. I want to feel more confident.

Thanks
Tara

Postby LL Lambo » Tue May 13, 2008 1:13 pm

The good news is that the tummy is still flat. I'm not really sure if I would consider the procedure if I was paying, but it wasn't a super major concern for me, so part of the appeal for getting it done was that it wasn't going to cost me.

No side effects 18 months on. The recovery is quite painful and also longer than I imagined, but apart from that it was all good.
Lambo

LL Lambo

Return to Solid Gold - Some of our Favourites!