one for the girls - diabetic mastopathy

In this part of the Reality Check website, the moderators have saved discussion threads out of the rest of the forum which have addressed a popular issue containing terrific information, or threads that have generated a lot of discussion and which we feel people may well find useful to refer to in future.

one for the girls - diabetic mastopathy

Postby Sharona » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone has ever been diagnosed with a complication of long standing type1 known as diabetic mastopathy. It is an uncommon condition where diabetic patients develop hard palpable breast masses which mimic breast cancer on ultrasound and mamograms but are not cancerous. I recently had a breast lump biopsy which proved to be diabetic mastopathy and I was surprised at the number of doctors and health professionals who have not heard of it. I remember a reality check newsletter from a few years ago featured an article on it.
So girls, if you ever find a lump in your breast , please get it checked out, but be aware of this condition as it may save a lot of unnecessary worry.
Sharona
Sharona

Postby Kate » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Indeed Sharona. One of our committee members Mary-Anne had/has d mastopathy and went through all the horribleness of misdiagnosis for alogn time and wrote the article you refer to. For interest, one question Mary-Anne coudl never get an answer to was whether it affectes breastfeeding, and can now report she is mummy to 2 little kids and has breastfed them a-ok. Interesting to hear from anyone else with experience of it. Cheers, Kate
Kate

Postby cassie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:51 am

I had my first experience with it at 26 - misdiagnosed of course, and had to go through surgery etc. Now when I have a lump I go through all the procedures of ultrasound and mammograms but it all turns out to be mastopathy. I did find out though that wearing underwire bras all the time can give you a hard lump along that line on your breast - & can be quite painful at times.

But get any lumps checked to be on the safe side!

Cassie
T1 1987 - pumping June 1999
cassie

Postby Insulin Junkie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:19 am

I also had a lump late last year for which there was no real explanation. Doc said it looked like hardened scar tissue after looking at the ultrasound. Does that sound like this?
Insulin Junkie

Postby Kate » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:15 am

Yes it does. Afraid the excellent "lumpy boobs" article by mary-anne seems to have dropped off the site. Shall find it and re-publish ASAP. Kate
Kate

Return to Solid Gold - Some of our Favourites!