Colonoscopy

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Colonoscopy

Postby Sharona » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Having a combined colonoscopy/endoscopy next week.
Any advice ?? I'm on a pump. The prep worries me. Surgeon wanted to admit me for the prep the day before but I would prefer to try and manage at home and admit morning of procedure.
Sharon
Sharona

Re: Colonoscopy

Postby Thea » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Sharon

I had a colonoscopy earlier this year, I put a temp basal rate on from the start of prep. From memory I think I ran at 60% basal rate until after procedure.

Make sure you have lemonade on hand as you are allowed clear fluids with a colonoscopy (not sure with regards to endoscopy). I also had chicken broth (chicken noodle soup drained to take out noodles)

I was allowed to keep my pump on during the procedure, they monitored my sugar levels during the procedure.

hope all goes well
Thea
Thea

Postby Sharona » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Thea,
Thanks for your reply.
How did you find the prep ? I've heard horror stories before. The thought of constantly running to the toilet disturbs me. Did you admit to hospital for the procedure only or the prep as well ??
Sharon
Sharona

Postby Thea » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 pm

I didn't find the prep as bad as I thought it was going to be, not to say that I thought it was fantastic. I was up and down to the toilet a lot. I found it hard to drink, as its a lot of fluid.

I was only in hospital for the procedure

Thea
Thea

Postby Kezza » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 am

I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy a few years ago and the prep wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. I ran pump at 60%. Yes I was up and down to toilet a lot and had pictured it being like when you're sick, but it wasn't at all. The worst part was the stuff you drink tastes pretty awful, but overall it was fine.
Ever tried to send a text message with your pump? It doesn't work!
Kezza

Postby Sharona » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks Kezza :)
How did you find your blood sugars were on the liquid prep day. My levels are all over the place at the moment so I'm concerned I'll go low or high the day before on the liquid diet prep day. Did you run the 60% for the procedure only or the day before as well.
Sharon
Sharona

Postby Kezza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 am

I think it was in 2011 or 2012 so my memory isn't perfect. I definitely started the 60% when I started fasting, and I think I ran it through to when I started eating again. I don't remember what my blood sugars were like but nothing went really wrong i.e. no big highs or lows. I always find my sugars are more stable when I'm not eating for whatever reason.
Ever tried to send a text message with your pump? It doesn't work!
Kezza

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START