new medtronic pump

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

new medtronic pump

Postby Nicole » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:33 am

i've just had notification that my pump is just about about. Wow can't believe it's been four years already. I need to get a new pump and was wondering what people thought about the new medtronic pump?
Nicole
Nicole

Re: new medtronic pump

Postby artemis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm guessing that you're asking about the 640G. I've had mine for 3 years, and I think it's good, but I'm now waiting for the 670G to come out, that's the one that will 'loop' ie not only suspend when you go low, but add insulin when you get to a certain number. Don't know when the 670g is arriving officially here.

There's also a new pump, not Metronic, coming out shortly. The Ypsomed, but not sure when.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby tedos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am

I upgraded to the 640g from the Veo. Not a major upgrade in my opinion, besides the colour screen and a few enhancements. It is better than the veo in that it can take rechargeable batteries and has a better colour screen. The locking of buttons is a bit of a nuisance. There is no way to turn it off.

This thread is a bit biased as it lists the nuisances but may be useful for you in deciding

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12990

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s a good pump but with technology these days I think it can do better (even something simple like the clock is inaccurate as it runs faster overtime!!!) Haven’t used other brands before but Medtronic is supposed to be market leader so if it’s behind I don’t think the others are too far ahead either
tedos

Postby Sharona » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 am

Hi
Like Tedos I upgraded from the veo to the 640g. I waited nearly 5 years to upgrade hoping the omnipod may become available in Australia which it unfortunately didn't. (yet)
I do like the 640g. I have had it 4 months now. No major problems with it. The clock running faster is an issue I have also noticed and is annoying.
The contour link meter that comes with it is good and sends blood glucose straight to the pump and can also be used to remotely bolus.
I use a dexcom cgm but you can use the medtronic cgm with the pump as the receiver.
It's really disappointing we don't have all pump options available to us in Australia like the omnipod or tandem. When I upgraded the 640g was my only option.
Sharona

Postby abs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:59 am

Jane / Artemis, Cheryl Steele has the impression that the 670G may not release here at all due to a number of reasons. Looks like it might be a wait for the 690G (lower target range too rather than 6.7)

Will be interesting to see what AMSL are bringing out ?later? this year
abs

Postby 0607lucy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 pm

I've had my 640G for 2 weeks now after 8 years with a Minimed paradigm. I was looking forward to getting my new pump but am a little disappointed. I haven't yet found any great advantages and find it a bit bigger and heavier and more obvious under clothing. I have been very busy at work so haven't really explored some of the new options but am not really sure that the 640G is all that much better. What do others think?
0607lucy

Postby artemis » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Lucy, I love the fact that it lets me know when I'm going low so I can correct before I go hypo. As I'm hypo unaware, it's what I need.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Christhelegend » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 am

I've had my 640g for nearly 12 months and as I can't afford CGMS there is basically no positive difference between it and the Veo (or to be honest my older 722!!). It's bigger and heavier, although the rep strenuously pointed out that it is only marginal in both increased size and weight, but when the bloody things attached 24/7 it really makes a noticeable difference. It's also got some really annoying sharp edges that dig in and scratch, especially when i'm out running!
Christhelegend

Postby artemis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 am

Chris, ask your rep to get you some covers for the pump. I now have 3, thanks to my rep (who has now, sadly, left Medtronic).
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START