HCF - Pump Renewal - BEWARE

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

HCF - Pump Renewal - BEWARE

Postby Irish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 pm

This is the 1st time my pump is up for renewal
I initially got my pump on HCF cover
In the past 5 years i had 2 kids so "Upgraded my Policy" to family cover - paid extra for pregnancy cover
Stated in the office i wanted to make sure my pump would be covered come renewal.
Ended up paying approx $350 per month on Family cover

Today got a response from HCF to state my hospital cover "Hospital Advance" they would only cover 50% of the cost
as you can imagine i was not happy.
After many calls and transfers, HCF stated i would have to upgrade my policy again to PREMIUM HOSPITAL cover $440 per month and wait 12 month before they would cover 100% of my cost.

Wow. Explained i was a loyal customer for 10years with HCF
there response was - "Policy was changed few years back and they cannot wave the 12month waiting period as its the GOVERNMENT not Them"

FOR THOSE ON HCF and looking to renew...please note you have to be on TOP PREMIUM HOSPITAL COVER

I'm currently looking to move family to BUPA or NIB ...

I'm so disappointed.
Irish

Re: HCF - Pump Renewal - BEWARE

Postby artemis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am

Try ahm, Irish. But yes, you will have to be in the top hospital cover. I have been told that with NIB you have to get an endo to sign off on the pump, where with others it's OK for an educator to do the paperwork.

I enquired with HCF when I was looking around to see how much various companies charged (earlier this year) and found them to be one of the dearest, and yes, to get an insulin pump covered it had to be the top hospital cover.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Christhelegend » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 am

As much as I don't want to talk up Medibank Private, in relation to my recent pump upgrade they've been the easiest i've ever dealt with.
I think i'm on an intermediate hospital cover.
Christhelegend

Postby Smee! » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Irish
I was with HCF for many years but the price kept going up, up, up and their service down, down, down! Earlier this year I changed to Defence Health - not many people are aware that if you had a parent or grandparent that was in the any of the defence forces OR worked as an employee (civilian) at any Defence office you should be able to join. It ended up being about $100 cheaper per month and so far I have got more $$ back on dental services than HCF ever covered.

BUT, I have not yet tried for the all important pump (replaced just before I left HCF - had to get my moneys worth out of them!!!) but I was told they do not have a time frame to replace a pump (ie. HCF - replaced only every 5 years) but that it would be replaced on an 'as need' basis. Hopefully when the pump is out of warranty I wont have to wait that extra year like in the past. The proof will be in the pudding when I try it though - it sounds almost too good to be true.

Good luck with the search for a new PHI.
Smee!

Postby artemis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Smee, the 'as need basis' is why I did not join Defence Health, and got out of LaTrobe Health Services. ahm (it is under the medibank umbrella) will replace my pump when it is out of warranty, and this is what I want: security.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Smee! » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi Jane, I was told it would be replaced as soon as it was out of warranty by defence. But it will be over 3 years before I try this. All other things claimed to date i am happy. Better than HCF.
Smee!

Postby abs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 am

Irish, this is just atrocious

Maybe speak to your DE to find out what other health funds they have dealt with at a similar (or lower) level of cover that you have. They should possibly be able to provide the names of some, swap to them - you'll be covered automatically as you are coming across at the same level

Then you'll be right for a pump claim immediately without the 12 month cow dung

I use CBHS (www.cbhs.com.au) who like Defence Health, restrict membership to current/past staff members of CommBank or any of their affiliated companies AND siblings and children of current/former staff members

They also have a public company (www.cbhscorporatehealth.com.au) with the exact same benefits, but slightly higher premiums (though they are still very competitive) - I've been with CBHS for over 25 years and have need to change (the DE who arranged my pump said they were very easy to deal with and with Top Extra's I also get back a chunk of money each year on CGMS too)
abs

Postby andy72 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi all, I was previously with Australian Unity when I first started pumping..there were no issues starting on the pump, I think I had top cover. I upgraded my pump at the end of the warranty period and there were no issues then either. Just over a year and a half ago, I switched to CBHS on top cover. I recently spoke to DE about another upgrade, due to pump soon to be out of warranty. At this point I believe the claim has been rejected by CBHS as they require the pump to be faulty before they will approve an upgrade..

Abs, I see that you are with CBHS...and have been for a long time. Have you had any issues with upgrading pump at end of warranty period. Is there anyone else who is with CBHS, and have had a similar experience with their pump upgrade.

Thanks
Andy
andy72

Postby abs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Can't help there andy, this is my first pump. Still over 18 months to go before it's due for replacement
abs

Postby artemis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm

This is what I was told by LHS, and it was only because I am hypo unaware that my DE got approval for me to get the 640g. The vibe was a year out of warranty, but that didn't matter. When I enquired about joining Defence Health, I was told the same thing. That's why I changed to ahm.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby abs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am

andy, I've just spoken to CBHS and they are looking into what their upgrade policy is

When I get a call back, I'll let you know what they say
abs

Postby abs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am

so the person I really need to speak to has the day off today, but will be back on Tuesday, and should be able to call me then. I was also given an email address to send a message to, which I've done.

Will report back when I have more info
abs

Postby abs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 am

Just spoke with the person responsible, Craig something. He's the main person from CBHS that deals with anything pump related

In the past they used to want a report about the status of a pump once beyond the 4 years but that is no more. Once the 4 years is approaching, typically about 6 weeks out, get your DE to begin the paperwork to have a new one ordered

Also get them to check the actual old purchase date. Whilst my pump was fitted end of July 2015 the "purchase" date from the fund is May, but there was a slight delay in getting timing right with the DE and rep to me to get started. The health fund will operate on the "purchase" date as will the warranty date should there be an issue between "purchase" and "fitting" dates

He also commented, and I agreed, that we all should have an emergency back up plan in place should something happen to our pump, and agreed/understood with me that if something happened whilst under warranty we'd only need a backup plan for a few days (depending on how long it takes you to get a replacement) but getting a fresh one outside of warranty would take considerably longer as there is much more involved. Using a backup plan in that case gets harder to maintain in some circumstances

It was a good chat and he was glad to know people are finding life dealing with diabetes is made easier utilising technology available to us
abs

Postby andy72 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi Abs, thank you for your reply and getting in touch with somebody from CBHS. Over the weekend, I lodged an enquiry on CBHS website asking what their policy was on replacing insulin pumps that are out of the warranty period. I had a call back today. The person did not know enough about pumps, so she put me through to someone else. After explaining my situation, he told me that they do cover replacements after warranty period ends. I have his name...Lucas. Medtronic also have been in contact saying that they want to do a health check on my current pump to determine any faults, cracks etc. I have now emailed my DE, but unfortunately she is away from work until Thursday...so at this stage I have to wait for her to get back to me and for her to contact a person at Medtronic, which I believe to be a rep. Given what info you have in regard to CBHS requesting some questions about state of current pump, I wonder now if the initial contact to me from Medtronic was incorrect.. I believe that they told me that my claim had been rejected by CBHS....I have a text message that says, "CBHS requires a faulty pump before approving pump upgrade application".

I just have to wait now for DE to get back to me...will keep you informed..once again abs, thanks for making enquiries.

Andy
andy72

Postby andy72 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

Good news... I got an email from DE on Monday to say that my new pump has arrived.. and that my pump upgrade is going ahead next Monday. It seems that some health funds do request a "health check" on pump sometimes when doing an upgrade due to warranty expiring. I think I got the wrong info from Medtronic originally when they told me that my health fund requires a faulty pump before they would approve a claim. I am getting a Medtronic 640(i think it is)..

Andy
andy72

Postby abs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:51 pm

That's good news. But sheez, if I was a rep for stuff like pumps when you know different funds have different policies I'd be ensuring the entire team has something internal to look up about each fund

Or maybe they do and it's outdated ... Maybe speak to the rep and tell them their info is wrong ???

Roll on Monday
abs

Postby genix » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 pm

I am with BUPA and they have NO SHAREHOLDERS and thus all produt is put back into the company. They are a pleasure to deal with and you only need bottom hospital cover to get a pump fully paid for. In my case I have full hospital cover with $250 edcess and they paid within 24 hours of receiving the bill from medtronic.
genix

Postby artemis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 am

I have just changed to Phoenix, and they will cover a pump as long as the paperwork is in order, so when it comes to the crunch, I will ask my DE to do what she did last time. I changed over because I found that they have arrangements with more medical day surgeries and hospitals than ahm.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START