Crossfit with a pump attached?

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Crossfit with a pump attached?

Postby tantan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 am

I'm wondering if anyone here does crossfit with a pump attached? I prefer to leave my pump connected and running a reduced basal for exercise, rather than be disconnected for an hour or more. However, I'm not sure if the activities involved in crossfit would mean the pump is in the way (eg. I usually clip my pump under the front band of my bra, so anything that would involve me laying on my stomach on the ground would be a bit uncomfortable due to it pushing into my sternum).

I'm not concerned at all about managing my levels throughout - this is purely a question of comfort and ease of movement...?
Diagnosed 07/12/2007

One cannot consent to creep when one has an impulse to soar.
-- Helen Keller
tantan

Re: Crossfit with a pump attached?

Postby ali m » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am

I don't do crossfit, but spend a ridiculous amount of time at aikido classes, getting thrown, pinned, and doing acrobatic rolls. Pump wearing is not possible, except for weapons class (even then we sometimes throw using weapons).

I got very sick of trying to manage my BSLs with up to 2-2.5 hours off pump, so I use Lantus at night at 75% of my basal, then I can easily remove my pump.

You might be able to rig up something to contain your pump in an out of the way spot, like in the leg of tights or similar, but I reckon it'd still get in the way. Some tights have an outside leg pocket. If you made a wee hole on the inside fabric and fed the line through, that might work. Inside leg would get in the way of weightlifting, and anywhere on the front or back of your body would get painful. Maybe under your arm? Not sure if side lying has much of a role in cross fit. Nah, that would get in the way of muscle ups on rings or kips.

Good luck!
ali m

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START