NSW Drivers license question

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

NSW Drivers license question

Postby jpaus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi all, just a quick question...

I remember years ago after being diagnosed, i would get the occasional letter from the RTA (now RMS), about them needing a doctors letter about my T1D management, and i think i also had to go in and do the eye test at the RTA office (or i got it done at the GP when i got the letter, i don't remember)...

Anyway, i did this at least twice, if not more, although i can't remember the frequency with which it was required, so i'll just assume it was an annual thing..

However, i haven't been asked for this now for at least 7 or so years, and i'm just wondering if something changed, or if i've slipped through the cracks somehow and i'm still meant to be doing this? I've renewed my license at least 5 times since, and also got a motorcycle license, and whenever i had to write down my T1D as a condition on the form, i did...

Does anyone else in NSW still have to do any of that regularly for their license?

Thanks
jpaus

Re: NSW Drivers license question

Postby melissa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 am

You should be doing this at least every 2 years. As long as you are ticking the box that says you have t1d though you are fulfilling your requirements. If they are not asking for it I wouldn't be pushing it!
30+ years with D, two wonderful children
melissa

Postby ali m » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 am

I think it's just a tick box that might get missed sometimes. I had 10 years of freedom when I first started driving because even though I filled in the form properly, it got missed. It was only picked up when I went in to renew after 10 years. The girl behind the counter was a neighbour of my grandparents, and we'd played together as kids. She knew about my D, and the bloody certificates started happening.......
ali m

Postby jpaus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Ah i see, thanks for the replies

I guess i'll just ride this wave for as long as i can, i've probably jinxed myself now, and i'll get a medical request in the mail next week... lol
jpaus

Postby dlawson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:16 pm

This thread made me realise that I haven't received one of those forms in a while either. I'm in SA though. I used to get the form every year, but it must have been a few years since the last one. I'm certainly not complaining! Seemed like overkill to me anyway.
dlawson

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START