Hypers post exercise

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Hypers post exercise

Postby TeaBag » Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Everyone

This is my first time posting but I have visited the forum for a while (where I have always found good advice). I have an exercise issue:
- Last night I went for a walk (20 mins moderate) and had a hypo about 2 hours after I came home (I had eaten about 30 g before the walk, 30 g after coming back) and had to eat more for the hypo
-This morning I rode to work, it was cold and I felt it, and ended up on 26 when I tested at work! The ride is about 18 km and took me 50 minutes. I ate about 30 g before leaving with a bolus and 2 x 20 g snacks along the way (this seems to hold off the hypos). My morning BGL was 13 probably from overtreating the hypo.

Do you think I a) had a hypo along the way and am going through a rebound or b) did not have enough insulin in my system to start off with?
I have never been able to figure this one out some days I am about 10 when I reach others I am about 18. The distance and snacks are always the same and I start out about 8-12 mmol.

Am I starting too high to begin with?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
TeaBag

Re: Hypers post exercise

Postby LisaRRR » Wed May 17, 2017 4:49 pm

There are so many variables with exercise. It depends on your starting blood sugar, ketones, the weather, time of day etc, so it is difficult comparing evening exercise with morning exercise, especially if you are affected by dawn phenomenon.
LisaRRR

Postby Nicholas » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

What I find is that if my BGs are too high before endurance exercise, that actually going out on a run will drive the BG even higher.

For me this is around the 15 mmol mark.

You could try exactly the same thing again, but start with a bit lower BG. Testing BG halfway through the ride might be helpful, too. Being more insulin resistant in the mornings doesn't help either.

Having said all that, an extended intensive effort can drive BGs up after the exercise, even if the levels are OK to start with. This would vary a lot between individuals. So, if BG is more-or-less OK immediately after the ride, then starts going up, it could be you consumed too many carbs on the ride which are still being absorbed and/or cortisol/adrenaline etc. are making the BGs rise for an hour or two post-exercise. You sorta need to work out what's going on. A pain in the neck, but once you have an idea you'll know what to do in future.

Cheers,
Nicholas
Dx: 10 July, 1972
We can rebuild him. Make him stronger. Faster. More powerful than before ...
Nicholas

Postby ali m » Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 am

Very occasionally I get things correct, and finish an class or bike ride (jeans wearing, job doing - no lycra involved) with nice BSLs.

But mostly I am up or down, especially with morning classes (90-150min of martial arts). I'm slightly more insulin resistant in the mornings, until I exercise, then I'm not. Makes life interesting.

I use Freestyle Libre, which has given me very good information to work with. Even if it isn't affordable full time, it might be worth a trial for a couple of weeks or a month to see what silliness your BSLs get up to.
ali m

Postby Irish » Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Check out this website = http://www.ext1d.com.au

I struggled for ages with exercise and all the info out there was not working for me till i found this site.
The guy who runs it 'Allan' is a professional athlete with Type 1
I was always told to eat before exercise, but this site has a course that shows that if you know you are going to exercise, then preparation is key (eating 4hrs before to get your carbs and energy levels ready)
then testing during exercise to adjust.
Amongst other things that only us Type 1's can relate to... He even has the science behind his madness !

If you are serious about exercise this is the site for you. It changed my life.

I know i seem over the top, but here is Australia there is very little info on type 1 and exercise.

Amazing site. !!!
Irish

Postby TeaBag » Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Many thanks everyone! I am not a serious athlete at all but I do like a good ride. You are told so many things but they do not always apply or seem to be the opposite.
I will check out the website and give the libre a go!
TeaBag

Postby TeaBag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 am

So I started using the libre - its really handy and I can pull it out easily during the ride. I realised that I was going high during the ride (and needed a temp rate of 20 per cent) and dropped down straight after (when I get to work) and need to eat about 50 g of carbs on a suspended basal. I will need to sort this tail end as well.

Many thanks everyone for your ideas and help.
TeaBag

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START