Let's petition the gvt to subsidise the Libre for adults

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Let's petition the gvt to subsidise the Libre for adults

Postby LisaRRR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I think it's great that people under 21 now have better access to CGMS through government subsidies. For the rest of us, I think we should petition the government to at least subsidise the new Freestyle Libre glucometer.

I tried the Libre for two weeks, loved it, learnt so much about my blood sugar swings, discovered I have "dawn phenomenon" and couldn't go back to finger pricks after that one ran out. At around $50 a week, this is probably too much for a lot of people to pay, but we need to make the government see that making this more readily available for everyone now can improve their control and save the expenses from future complications and strain on the hospital system.
LisaRRR

Re: Let's petition the gvt to subsidise the Libre for adults

Postby abs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm

there's already quite a few petitions about for that... and now that the funding for kids is through, the various groups involved are already on the case for adults. Though the government will want to see some results (which will take a while) of kids being admitted to hospital and has there been any dropping etc

And I doubt they'll go down the Libre route as it is not a CGM but a FGM (Flash Glucose Monitor) and personally I run my Dexcom G4 full time cheaper than what the Libre would cost per year
abs

Postby Nicholas » Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am

abs wrote:And I doubt they'll go down the Libre route as it is not a CGM but a FGM (Flash Glucose Monitor) and personally I run my Dexcom G4 full time cheaper than what the Libre would cost per year

I tried the Dexcom G4 for a while, but am lucky to get 10 days out of the sensor. This makes the Libre seem like a more viable option.
Dx: 10 July, 1972
We can rebuild him. Make him stronger. Faster. More powerful than before ...
Nicholas

Postby ali m » Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 pm

I will never go back to fingerpricks after using my Libre. I don't like CGMS because of the alarms and alerts, and the bloody fingerprick calibrations.

If cost becomes a problem I will gladly sell a kidney to keeping using it. I've entered their competition to see if I can win a years supply - not for me, I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, but I recently discovered that there are two other people on insulin in my bagpipe band. It makes life so much easier when marching or competing.

I'm going to see if there's a petition on change.org.
ali m

Postby abs » Thu May 04, 2017 6:05 am

Nicholas wrote:
abs wrote:And I doubt they'll go down the Libre route as it is not a CGM but a FGM (Flash Glucose Monitor) and personally I run my Dexcom G4 full time cheaper than what the Libre would cost per year

I tried the Dexcom G4 for a while, but am lucky to get 10 days out of the sensor. This makes the Libre seem like a more viable option.

In what way were they failing ? My current one was restarted for the 2nd time last night, so now on day 22 and still going strong (and accurate)
abs

Postby Nicholas » Thu May 04, 2017 9:43 am

The sensor just comes to the end of its life. I get one restart, then it stops working after a few days.

This was a couple of years ago. From memory, I went through about eight sensors. These are only guaranteed for seven days. If you're getting several weeks out of them, that's a big bonus. My immune system must break them down relatively quickly. So, on average, they'd last ten days, plus or minus two days.

I've ordered the Libre system, so waiting upon delivery. Will see what I think about this once I have it. I'm not after alarms and warnings, so I believe the simpler system may suit me. Having said that, I would have continued with the Dexcom system had the sensors lasted two weeks or more for me.
Nicholas

Postby tedos » Tue May 09, 2017 11:02 am

What's he difference between this and a Medtronic sensor for CGMS?
tedos

Postby ali m » Tue May 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Libre is "flash" glucose monitoring, which means the little sensor thingy has a limited memory, and can't transmit to anything without using near field technology. To get a reading, one must hold the reader (which also doubles as a normal glucose monitor) next to the sensor. It doesn't alert to going high or going low until the reader is held next to it.

Continuous monitoring, as with Medtronic and Dexcom, transmits every 5 minutes to either a receiver or a compatible pump, and alerts can be set.

Personally I find the constant beeping and alerting (even with all alarms turned off) very tiresome, and much prefer the Libre.

There is a company (Ambrosiasys) making a bluetooth button to fit on top of the Libre, which will (IMHO) turn it into a CGMS (using one's smartphone). I've ordered one to try, but may get bored with the concept very quickly.

The Libre also doesn't require fingerstick glucose numbers to calibrate.

There is also a new implantable glucose sensor available somewhere in the world called Eversense. I'm quite interested, but no idea when or if it'll come to Australia.
ali m

Postby abs » Wed May 10, 2017 4:26 am

Ali, curious when you say finding the constant beeping and alerting when all alarms are turned off ? Sounds as if something was wrong with your set up. There are times I've turned mine off on my Dexcom pump and/or receiver, with no alarms at all occuring bar the fixed 3.1mmol alarm on both

The only reason for the beeping and alerting would be is if you are going outside the target range values that we can individually set. Personally I'd like to know when that happens

Earlier this year I had 2 stents put in my heart, and nearly finished my cardio rehab sessions. All diabetics, regardless of type, have their start and finish BSL's recorded. Coz I have the CGMS, its far easier for me :) Yesterday I was at the peak of the post lunch spike of 7.8 when I started, so thought all should be cool. Just as I was finishing up 30 mins later my pump buzzed and beeped at me - 4.3 with a straight down arrow (a single straight up/down Dexcom arrow = double medtronic arrow. A single medtronic arrow = Dexcom diagonal arrow). I had no idea - i often do have a squiz during the exercise sessions, but I think I was too busy chatting with the staff and others doing their sessions

Give me full time monitoring any time over the Libre - and not to mention Nightscout too
abs

Postby LisaRRR » Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 am

I like the idea of an implantable sensor, having just implanted my third sensor and finding that two weeks comes around very quickly haha. The sensor is comfortable when it's in, but it is more raised off the arm than I imagined. People have asked me what that "bottle cap" is stuck to my arm!
LisaRRR

Postby tedos » Thu May 11, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks.

How's the reliability of the libre? CGMS can be widely unreliable
tedos

Postby abs » Thu May 11, 2017 10:10 am

tedos the Libre is known for being unreliable in higher readings. I've read heaps of stories being quite inaccurate above about 12. Sometimes reading 17 instead of 13 and reading 13 instead of 17 etc. Makes a fair difference in correction dose when up there for many people

Best to keep a standard meter on hand.

I find my Dex G4 quite reliable - even at 28.5 days this current sensor is still rock solid - was only off half a mmol this morning at calibration. Hoping it lasts til Tuesday morning (that'll be 33.5 days) as I have an MRI due... thus it and pump will have to come off (pump site will be due to be changed about then anyway, so good timing)
abs

Postby Nicholas » Fri May 12, 2017 12:21 pm

abs wrote:tedos the Libre is known for being unreliable in higher readings. I've read heaps of stories being quite inaccurate above about 12. Sometimes reading 17 instead of 13 and reading 13 instead of 17 etc. Makes a fair difference in correction dose when up there for many people

In the first day or two, my Libre sensor underestimated low BGs and overestimated high BGs, but now is spot on. When I overshot the mark yesterday, my Libre showed 14.1 mmol/l and my Accuchek Mobile 13.9. Today, it dropped a little low, my Libre showed 3.2, Accucheck Mobile 3.1. The readings between the two devices are always close now.

When I was using the Dexcom G4, I had serious accuracy issues some of the time. Perhaps one sensor was a dud. Other sensors varied, with some being excellent, but the time before they stopped working was relatively short compared to your experience.

So perhaps the answer is that different people's physiology may be better suited to one system rather than the other. Ideally, it's a case of trying different systems (if possible) to see.
Nicholas

Postby ali m » Fri May 12, 2017 2:11 pm

I have been within 1.0mmol/L from the get go with each libre, unless changing rapidly, for example after a pump cannula fail, trying hard to get below 20..... In that situation my sensor read 17 or so, and my fingerstick on the same meter, with an Optium strip, was 14. I was under 9 on both within an hour.

For my particular arms (large, muscular, with a generous layer of "padding"), the sensor works brilliantly. It may well be different for the less robustly built.

I found far more differences with the Medtronic CGMS worn in my belly or thigh.

abs, my issues with the CGMS revolve around the pump getting hysterical with lows. I am hypo aware, and had generally fixed the hypo and was feeling normal again by the time the CGMS registered my low. Once I didn't press the correct sequence of buttons of buttons to shut it up, and my pump started suggesting to bystanders that an ambulance should be called. As in noise and a big flashing "Call 911 or emergency". I was fine, and had been back training at martial arts for 30 mins by that point. I was very embarrassed, and fairly pissed off. I wasn't wearing my pump at the time, so had to stop training and shut it up.

I almost immediately turned off all the other alerts as soon as I started using CGMS. The low glucose alarms can't be silenced unfortunately on the Medtronic system. Sure, I go above and below target, most people do, but I don't need the constant interruptions in my life. Other people don't mind, and that's great.

For me, the Libre is exactly the correct amount of information, I love it, and will continue using it until something better comes along. Maybe the Eversense? Who knows?
ali m

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START