Ladies: yet another "where do I wear this thing" question

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Ladies: yet another "where do I wear this thing" question

Postby deviation72 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi all,

I've been pumping for 8 years but recently got upgraded to a 640g from a Veo 554. I'm not impressed with this pump (button pressing nightmare and that bloody lock function!), but the major issue I'm having is with how to wear it. For the last 8 years, I've worn my pump on the centre of my bra, clipped over the band and facing outwards. But I can't do this with the 640g as it is much longer (now we only have the large size as an option). It sticks up out of my tops, and is really obvious when I wear it.

I’ve been and tried on a whole pile of different style bras to see if that helps, with no luck. So I’ve tried wearing it on my waistband, but the clip is so flimsy it falls off all the time (and I hate wearing it there anyway). Because of this I’ve already dropped this new pump more in the last 4 months than I did my Veo over its 4 year life!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am getting more and more frustrated with this pump every day – to the point where I am thinking of going back on my out-of-warranty Veo permanently and chucking this stupid 640g in the drawer.
deviation72

Re: Ladies: yet another "where do I wear this thing" questio

Postby artemis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am

Hi deviation72,

I have had the 640g now for just over 2 years. I wear it clipped onto my bra, facing outwards, and although it is slightly bigger than my previous pump (the Vibe), I usually don't have any problems with it there. When I do wear something a bit lower cut than usual, I clip it to my waistband or put it in my pocket (I always wear pants). These occasions are invariably the ones when I don't want to do bra-fishing anyway. I guess you could try one of the pump belts that I've seen advertised on FaceBook. Sorry, no other suggestions.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby abs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:20 pm

sticking head in here... I was discussing pump start with a couple of friends (both women) the other day when the topic of where to wear it popped up. Another suggestion they came up with is a thigh garter type band - they're readily available both as a lacy type band to neopryne "solid" material some having pockets etc. Probably more useful for wearing as Jane says lower cut tops when the pump would be clearly visible

As a guy I mostly wear collared tshirt type tops that have a vneck... it either sits in the V with the metal clip facing out (the Vibe has a metal clip vs the 640G being plastic), or in the chest pocket
abs

Postby ali m » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

I've never been able to wear a pump in my bra, despite being fairly blessed. Too hot and sweaty!
I generally don't tuck shirts or tshirts in, and wear it on my left waistband, so it's pretty much invisible. I am yet to break the clip on my 640G, but it could well happen.
For occasions requiring dresses or my pipe band uniform, I wear thin bike shorts with a pocket sewn in on the front inner thigh (my fav at the moment is Undersummers, ordered from the US, of course). My 73yo mother is also a fan for under skirts, or even trousers in the winter for extra warmth.
I've tried using a garter type thing, and the pump is too heavy unless the band is so tight it cuts off my circulation. I made myself one out of lycra, complete with a loop around my knickers. It pulled my knickers down and was a thorough failure. I tried it in a very non sexual situation - getting ready for a pipe band performance. Knickers descending was not an asset!
ali m

Postby deviation72 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to ring Medtronic after Easter and ask for a new clip - I cannot for the life of me stop the pump from falling off my waistband, no matter what pants I am wearing, so there may be an issue with my clip if others aren't having the same dramas! In the meantime I'm back on my Veo temporarily to save my sanity. I'd love to try a thigh garter type of thing but I wear skinny pants and jeans 95% of the time so that might look quite odd :-) Could be a good solution for skirt days though!

I've seen a few of those sport/pump belts online like the SpiBelt and Flipbelt so might try a few of those and see if that's a solution for me. My boobs probably need a break from having a large square piece of plastic shoved between them for the last 8 years anyway (trying to look on the bright side!)
deviation72

Postby artemis » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:51 am

Deviation they should send you 2 replacement clips. I got 2 when my first one broke, and I'm on the second replacement one now. Know what you mean about giving the boobs a break.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby melissa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 am

The clips are very weak. Even my new replacement ones fall off the waistband very regularly. I've started putting mine in a pocket which I hate to do because it's too big. I find the bra is the best place most of the time though.
Ali - I am curious about the UnderSummers, I have seen them advertised on facebook and wondered if they were worth the price with postage. I have chunky thighs so I like to wear pants. You recommend these? It would be nice to wear a skirt or dress on occasion...
30+ years with D, two wonderful children
melissa

Postby genix » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:35 am

This doesn't help size but if you want to cut down on weight use the energiser lithium batteries they are significantly lighter (are advertised as such) and also last longer as well.
genix

Postby ali m » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Melissa, I am fairly chunky in the thigh dept too, and honestly, I love my undersummers. Go with the lace waisted ones, they stay up better than the sport ones. They are super comfy, but the sport ones don't stay up with a pump clipped on the waistband. I've only got capri tights in the sport model, so don't have a little pocket on them.
I have black, periwinkle blue and the very pale beige. All with the shorter leg length and the lace on the waistband and legs. They stay up really well with the pump in a little sewn on pocket, or on the waistband.
Not sure whether the postage is worth it, maybe see if friends or relatives need some too and split the cost.......
ali m

Postby Catapult » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Flipbelt is amazing, Spibelt is not bad. You can tuck in glucose meter and strips, or glucose tablets too etc, depending how many pockets you get.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby carolyn » Wed May 10, 2017 10:57 am

Sorry I can't help wit the where to where it but glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates the bigger 640 size, and a few of us have mentioned our hatred of the autolock! I got a 640 from my DE for a week to try it out and hated it so sticking with my Veo until the, hopefully, improved 670 is here. I'm also about to email the TGA to see if they can make Medtronic add an option to turn the autolock off, as well as make a smaller size (like the demo 640 you see on all the ads), before the 670 is released in Australia.
Half the people you know are below average.
carolyn

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START