Second calibration is automatically triggered - 640g medtron

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Second calibration is automatically triggered - 640g medtron

Postby tedos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:08 am

Has anyone encountered issues with calibration value not being accepted on the sensor even thought isig range is completely normal then about a few minutes later the sensor automatically calibrates a second time and errors again terminating the sensor with a change sensor error?

I keep getting these and I don't know what the problem is.
tedos

Re: Second calibration is automatically triggered - 640g med

Postby artemis » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 am

I've not had an automatic calibration after one has not been accepted, but for quite a while after I started on the Medtronic cgms I was getting the non-acceptance thing, and then when I would try to calibrate again, I would get the change sensor message. This has not happened for about the last 9 months (crossing fingers, toes, eyes etc) but each time I rang the helpline they would send me out a replacement. Have these ones all come from the same box?
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby tedos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Mostly same box but there has been a couple from a different batch. Happens like 90pc of the time. Is it a defective sensor or transmitter?
tedos

Postby juliemcdermott » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes I do and it is extremely annoying and costly. I don't know what the cause is unfortunately.
juliemcdermott

Postby juliemcdermott » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 pm

I unfortunately have not found the 640g medtron pump or CM as good as I was hoping. Is anyone else out there disappointed?
juliemcdermott

Postby artemis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:50 am

It could be the transmitter, tedos. At Christmas my transmitter died. When I got the new one, things started to go more smoothly, although I do think the newer sensors are better than those I got when I started on the cgm 2 years ago.

Julie, I'm quite happy with the pump, and I love the SmartGuard function (especially now that the sensors have improved). Do you ring the helpline everytime you get a bum sensor? I know you have to go through a lot of crap to start with, but I have always had bad sensors replaced. Also when transmitters have died, they have been replaced as long as they are in the warranty period. A bit of a nuisance, but better than throwing away $50.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby tedos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm

thank you for that. does it still happen for you?
tedos

Postby artemis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:51 am

This is the third transmitter I have had to get replaced. The others just died after about 2-3 uses. No idea why, and I still have them here, but apparently Medtronic is not interested in checking them. Maybe they knew there was a faulty batch? I had to wait for a month before the present one arrived, and other people on another forum had the same wait. So, I just wonder ...
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby paddyjoy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Yes this happens and it is very annoying. Seems to be some sort of bug, you will notice that it happens exactly 10 minutes after the first calibration error.

The best way to avoid this is to make sure your blood sugar isn't rising or falling when you calibrate. If it does happen make sure you call the helpline and get them to replace the sensor.

When it happens to me I remove and reinsert the transmitter then start the sensor again.
paddyjoy

Postby tedos » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 pm

paddyjoy wrote:If it does happen make sure you call the helpline and get them to replace the sensor.

I hate calling the help line. I spend a good 45 mins on the phone answering the same questions everytime the sensor doesn't work. They say to report it but nothing is ever done about fixing the issue. Its an hour of my life gone plus the stress during the process.

Sometimes you get a staff that has empathy and sympathetic to your situation, the last person I got was like a robot reading of a checklist and was rather rude when you give an answer that wasn't part of the expected response on her list.
tedos

Postby artemis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 am

Totally agree, tedos. What really gets me is the business of 'what is/was your BSL?' I really don't see the point of this, especially when my BSL was 9 and I get an indrawn breath and an 'oh, that's not good'. Mind your own effing business. Grrrr. Not to mention that the stress of waiting and answering stupid questions has just put it up again.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby straygaijin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:21 pm

paddyjoy wrote:Yes this happens and it is very annoying. Seems to be some sort of bug, you will notice that it happens exactly 10 minutes after the first calibration error.

The best way to avoid this is to make sure your blood sugar isn't rising or falling when you calibrate. If it does happen make sure you call the helpline and get them to replace the sensor.

When it happens to me I remove and reinsert the transmitter then start the sensor again.

It's exactly 10 minutes after the first calibration because it is testing every 5 mins, it needs a couple of tests to determine if there is a problem. That's not a bug, that's design.

I used to the same thing occasionally with the Veo pump and I have found that it was generally because of my BG changing around the time of my calibration. What I do now is simply put off the calibration if I know my number is moving about. Sure I get a blank period in my history but at least I get to keep using the sensor.
straygaijin

Postby paddyjoy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm

straygaijin wrote:It's exactly 10 minutes after the first calibration because it is testing every 5 mins, it needs a couple of tests to determine if there is a problem. That's not a bug, that's design.

The bug is that it automatically triggers a second calibration, even if the user hasn't requested a second calibration.
paddyjoy

Postby tedos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am

artemis wrote:Totally agree, tedos. What really gets me is the business of 'what is/was your BSL?' I really don't see the point of this, especially when my BSL was 9 and I get an indrawn breath and an 'oh, that's not good'. Mind your own effing business. Grrrr. Not to mention that the stress of waiting and answering stupid questions has just put it up again.

Yea i know what you mean. Once my clip broke and they asked the BG reading. Shows that they are just going theough their checklist and not using their brains. for me, the need to ask for my name, address, phone, dob, email and serial number every time annoys the hell out of me.

Pretty poor customer experience
tedos

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START