dexcom and applewatch

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

dexcom and applewatch

Postby Sharona » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi :)
I discovered this on a UK forum today --> If you have dexcom g5 it is now integrated with the apple watch using the Sugarmate app. It involes setting up Sugarmate as a follower on dexcom share and then readings can be viewed on your iPhone/Applewatch. Sugarmate was US compatilbe only until recently. Readings appear as a calendar event on your watch face. I installed the app this morning and so far am very impressed as I can finally see my glucose reading on my applewatch.
Sharon
Sharona

Re: dexcom and applewatch

Postby Catapult » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Sharon

I LOVE this post.

I'm testing Libre right now, and annoyed because it only connects to an Android phone using a 3rd party app (Glimp), and not an Apple phone.

I will be trialling G4 soon and deciding on getting a G5 after that.

I happen to be lucky enough to be getting an Apple series 2 watch for only $150 as I had a product failure that was in the 'product care' period and the option was a store credit, and there was nothing in store I wanted or needed except for $150 I could get the apple watch 2. So I'll be picking it up soon (Apple had a 'delay' in their supply, yeah sure).

Thanks for advising us of this great advance.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby fido » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 pm

Catapult wrote:Hi Sharon
I'm testing Libre right now, and annoyed because it only connects to an Android phone using a 3rd party app (Glimp), and not an Apple phone.

iPhones don't have an NFC reader inside them, so they can't read the Libre sensor on their own. We use a home-made reader (there's a few designs out there) to use it with the iPhone for alerts.

But this gadget ( https://www.ambrosiasys.com ) is much neater - a clip-on transmitter that sends Libre data to the iPhone. Hopefully they ship soon. It pre-orders at US$135 with shipping to Australia.
Follow our journey using new T1 treatments: http://afrezzadownunder.com
fido

Postby carolynred » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:31 pm

Yep! Fantasic work-around.Basically Dexcom app shares readings with Sugarmate, then Sugarmate uploads readings to Calendar every 5 mins, which is what projects to Apple Watch. I've been using it for about 6 weeks and found it works about 80% of the time (the times it doesn't work I think is due to poor mobile signal). I find it extremely useful being able to check my readings on my watch! I look forward to Dexcom bringing out an app that is compatible with our devices (readings in mmol/L) to see if it's any better. But very happy with the Sugarmate one in the mean time.
carolynred

Postby Sharona » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Dexcom is now compatible with the Apple Watch in Australia :)
The dexcom app update released in the last few days finally has Apple Watch compatibility. I have enjoyed using the sugarmate app but it's great to have the actual dexcom app working with the Watch.
Sharon
Sharona

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START