Type 1 Diabetes and pregnancy - Trying to subsidise CGMs

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Type 1 Diabetes and pregnancy - Trying to subsidise CGMs

Postby DiaMegs » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi All,

I have been a type 1 for nearly 20 years, I'm 30years old and now thinking about pregnancy. I am based in NSW and my most recent A1C is 7.6%. I am trying to get it lower, but my doctors tell me that as I've had it for so long, it will be difficult to do without significant risk of hypos.

As we all know, the federal governments approval of CGMs for under 21 year olds was a wonderful step in the right direction, but the blatant rejection of the other two proposed groups, ('Women with type 1 diabetes and pregnancy' and adults with 'hypo-unawareness'), was shocking. In the proposal to the government, it was estimated that only 300 women per year would need to be included in this group, at a cost of only $1million per year. (Here is the proposal: https://static.diabetesaustralia.com.au ... c4f676.pdf). I worry that because we are not a large group of people, we were an easy cost to cut.

I am wondering if there are any pregnant type 1's, those trying to conceive, or those thinking about pregnancy soon, that feel passionate about this? If it was available, would you use a CGM for the duration of your pregnancy? Would a CGM have allowed you to keep lower levels and further reduced the risk of complications? Did you have to be admitted to hospital during your pregnancy due to diabetes (the cost of this admittance far out ways the cost of the subsidy of the CGM)?

I am hoping to gain some support from other women with type 1 diabetes who are currently pregnant, trying to conceive (TTC) or thinking about pregnancy in the near future. If we don't speak up, who will?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!
DiaMegs

Re: Type 1 Diabetes and pregnancy - Trying to subsidise CGMs

Postby Kerryn » Sun May 28, 2017 1:43 am

Hey,
It's been a long time since you posted this, but I just wanna reply and say ' yes'!!!!
I was admitted to hospital towards the end of my second pregnancy. Just 1 night. Because of unexpected hypos.
This time (3Rd pregnancy) I am paying for cgm and I have a 640g. It's already saved my life twice (potentially) when I've had hypos overnight and not woken. Although this was prior to pregnancy.

I've heard of Women dying from sudden hypos during pregnancy... We need to speak up about the need for access to cgm!!
It's just so stressful and scary without cgm and the 640g pump for me. I'm getting much better results than the first 2 pregnancies so far.

I'm not much of a political activist, but happy to support the cause :D
Kerry
Kerryn

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START