Slimtember

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Slimtember

Postby Okin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:47 pm

The CSIRO has started a campaign that claims to be about raising money for research into a cure for type 1 diabetes. According to another website, a "portion of the funds raised" will be donated to JDRF Australia (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).

So, I have a couple of problems with this:
1. the campaign is called Slimtember — "Join Slimtember to help raise money for kids living with type 1 diabetes and lose a few kilos before summer with our 4-week weight loss program"
2. their website only talks about "kids with type 1 diabetes".

Here's my problem with the name and the concept of losing weight — it further reinforces the misconception that type 1 diabetes is a preventable condition caused by eating too much. Just wait for the comments from ignorant family members / collegues: "I saw on the CSIRO website that you can cure type 1 diabetes by losing weight".

They aren't interested in a cure for you and me. Only for "kids with type 1 diabetes". Their website has multiple statements like "Lose weight to help kids" and "How Slimtember helps kids with type 1 diabetes". Clearly we are all too old and ugly to live lives free from fear, life-threatening complications and medical expenses.

Info about Slimtember is here:

https://my.totalwellbeingdiet.com/about-slimtember
Okin

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START