Insulin for Life

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Insulin for Life

Postby artemis » Mon May 30, 2016 3:27 pm

**Donations and Volunteers needed for Insulin for Life global**
Insulin for life global collects unwanted in date unopened insulin from first world countries and sends to people with type 1 in disadvantaged countries.
We need donations of diabetes insulin supplies as well as people willing to donate some of their time to help raise the profile of this worthy organisation. We need skills in building a website and developing a social media strategy. If you would like to donate insulin or your time to this organisation please contact me at jo.sader@gmail.com.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Re: Insulin for Life

Postby siml » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Artemis,

I have quite a few blood testing machines, is there anywhere to donate these?

Kind regards
siml

Postby artemis » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:11 am

I suggest you contact Insulin for Life.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Muttu » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:48 pm

artemis wrote:**Donations and Volunteers needed for Insulin for Life global**
Insulin for life global collects unwanted in date unopened insulin from first world countries and sends to people with type 1 in disadvantaged countries.
We need donations of diabetes insulin supplies as well as people willing to donate some of their time to help raise the profile of this worthy organisation. We need skills in building a website and developing a social media strategy. If you would like to donate insulin or your time to this organisation please contact me at jo.sader@gmail.com.

Nice thinking we all are their with this organisation
Muttu

Postby abs » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Well, tomorrow is World Diabetes Day (Monday Nov 14) and the official launch date of the Insulin for Life Global (IFLG) website

When artemis started this topic, I ended up emailing Jo Sader via the email address given offering some web development help if need be. She contacted me a couple of weeks ago asking if I was able to help with the new website. They had someone in Brisbane doing it but did a disappearing act. So with only a couple of weeks to go before tomorrow, I took on the job

It is mostly finished - you can find it at https://www.insulinforlife.org

The launch video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1C2sRnG4w says it all about what IFLG is about. I still get the chills and a little angry and sad when I watch it even if it was me who uploaded the video to youtube. Did you know in many developing countries, the cost of insulin is considerably more than a persons entire income. The government often does not provide nor subsidise insulin at all. Those of us with in date unopened insulin can donate it, along with various other diabetes supplies. Postal address (in Ballarat Victoria) can be found on the Australian website http://www.insulinforlife.org.au

Wondering why you might have left over insulin ?? Well I started on a pump mid last year. I was using Novorapid and Lantus. Obviously I dont need the Lantus anymore, but I still had a full box of Lantus penfills (expiry mid next year) + 2 unused single penfills. Since starting the pump, I've not used a single unit - however I've read plenty of stories where pumps have failed and so the person has had to go back to whatever long acting whilst souring a replacement pump. I've donated the full box. Remembered earlier tonight I have a box of 0.30ml syringes I think my wife got for me accidentally - I prefer the 1ml syringes (I still bolus/correct via MDI) - so will donate those too. Or you might end up changing insulin type - why not donate any leftovers from the old type. Plenty of reasons to have potential supplies that can help out

Financial donations are also accepted. Even just $5 is enough to send a weeks worth of donated insulin overseas to someone in need, and since it is a not-for-profit organisation with charity status, any donations are tax-deductible

Thanks for reading
abs

Postby artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:38 am

Andrew, Thanks for posting this. I think we all need to realise how lucky we are in Australia, and how we can help others through IFLG.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START