Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) to remove glucose from your blood...

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) to remove glucose from your blood...

Postby Smee! » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:49 pm

has anyone had this yet? It works via the kidneys and removes excess glucose from your blood.

It is a new drug on the market and my GP has just prescribed it for me, along with a daily dose of metformin 1000mg. Both designed for T2s but he wants me to hit my high hba1c result with everything available to bring it down.... fast.

The pharmacist spent 20 minutes with me explaining how this (and Diabex) works and was surpirised my GP wanted me to use both at the same time - especially as I use insulin (obviously) and stressed quite a bit during the conversation I contact my doctor re the two medications. My doctor did say this was an unconventional approach - and does not have another T1 he has used prescribed this to. Depending on what you read, some sites say it is NOT to be used with insulin, other sites say it can be used in conjunction with insulin but hypoglaecemia is a side effect.

And of course, the good news is I currently spend most of the week living on my own as my other half now works interstate!!
Smee!

Re: Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) to remove glucose from your bloo

Postby artemis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Smee. I've not heard of it, but I really hope it works for you. I tried Metformin in conjunction with insulin, but it did nothing for me. lease keep us informed - you are our guinea pig for this one.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Catapult » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi Smee. I have heard of this drug a few years ago. I thought it was only pbs funded for T2 though?

I'm a bit concerned about possible kidney damage from using it ie overworking them.

Cat
Catapult
admin

Postby mish_au » Tue May 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi Smeel - after your other post, I wrote it on my list to ask my endo about Farxiga.

He's quite "progressive" if that is the right word, and last year we gave Januvia a try.

He gave me some of the 'samples' of Farxiga and a script. He was concerned that the side effects may mean I wouldn't be keen. I did ask about kidney damage - apparently there are no known deterioration to kidneys.

Also its a 'private' script - as he can't give it to a Type 1 on PBS. Apparently it might cost about $50 - although I haven't checked this out.

I just wanted to give you an update one week in - my goodness! I'm amazed! I'm actually unsure if I could deliberately get my sugars above 10! I haven't had a BGL over 8 in a week (being on the pump without any background long acting insulin - sometimes I'd get random 15's). My weekly average is 6.2.

I haven't had any more hypo's than I usually do, but testing more than usual… mind you my usual testing is about 6 x a day.

I'm really interested in how it goes for the next month.

Thanks for the heads up!
mish_au

Postby fido » Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 am

I can imagine pretty dramatic weight loss in the next few months - I hope you've got some weight to lose.

As your kidneys filter blood, glucose is continuously recovered so it isn't lost in urine. Forxiga/Jardiance/Invokana block the glucose transporter that recovers glucose, and its BG controlling effect is achieved via urination. Typical kidneys on Invokana excrete 100g of glucose per day (Forxiga 60-70g). That's a lot of extra food that needs to be eaten every day to maintain the same weight - 240-400 calories.

The ..flozin drugs have an interesting history. The first drug in this class predates the discovery of insulin - Phlorizin was identified as causing glucose to be excreted in large volumes of urine in 1886. As that's the defining symptom of diabetes, it lent support to the idea that diabetes was a kidney disease. These three on the market are modified versions of phlorizin found in carnation flowers and apple bark, but requiring 100x lower dose with less side effects.

Fascinated to hear how it goes.

PS: This review of studies makes it sound like it will give you a lean, muscular transformation:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... -6-453.pdf
Follow our journey using new T1 treatments: http://afrezzadownunder.com
fido

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START