At last I understand T1 and MY exercise

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

At last I understand T1 and MY exercise

Postby terryleew » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:49 pm

For the past 30 years I have been very confused about the very different BSL results from different exercise, and I have spent many thousands of dollars consulting endos, physiologists, dieticians etc. I really like to do a different type of exercise each day, weights, mountain bike, road bike, walk, surf, cardio circuit etc. But some days my BSL went up, others down and it drove me more than a bit crazy.

Thanks to realitycheck I went to the extd1 website. It is a terrible name, and the presentation is a bit clunky in its presentation. But don't be put off, the content has made me make sense and make pretty simple adjustments that have completely changed my ability to manage my levels while enjoying myself no end. My endo will be impressed by the flatter control, but I am more impressed that I have a clue what I am doing. I always got the effect of exercise by testing, I just couldn't quite grasp the cause. It does cost, $85, but the amount of information for that price, and the quality of the information by a bloke who has D1 himself and is a D1 educator, is well worth it (for me less than half the cost of an endo visit, and he seems to have done the whole thing from his own pocket). And, given that some of it is a bit technical, I like being able to just go back in and check my knowledge. There are also some calculators, including one that helps you work out what carbs to take according to your physical details and the type of exercise you are going to do. It looks intimidating, but it is pretty spot on from my trial.

I am wondering, however, why a self-taught enthusiast can put together such a brilliant tool when the crud I got during my education sessions from various professionals really didn't help at all. It kind of reminds me of Kate putting this site together on a string.

Anyway, if you want to exercise and want to avoid the ups and downs of BSL's and have a bit of confidence, I would recommend it. extd1.com.au Has anybody come across anything that even approximates this site? And is anybody aware of anybody who would subsidise membership for people who can't afford it?
Another day, another balancing act
terryleew

Re: At last I understand T1 and MY exercise

Postby Irish » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:31 am

Mate you are a bloody LEGEND !!!!

Do you know how many endos, diabetes educators etc... for some info on sport and Type 1.
I do a lot of high intensity training and play high level soccer at the weekends and my sugars do be all over the place depending on which activity i do.
I train in the Gym (Spin Class), Mid week soccer training, weekend SPIN + Soccer match and each activity i react different.

Everyone i ask just basically said Trial and Error which i have been trying for sometime now.
I even read the book Diabetes for Athletes (handbook) and its Rubbish.. same ol' same ol' rubbish about keeping sugars up and testing blah blah blah...
This advise is OK if you are a casual but this site you mentioned looks like a million dollars to me.

I'm asking around now to see if anyone has used this site and if its any good ($85 is a bit steep) especially if its all rubbish talk and generic advise..

Anyway... Great post and thank you for sharing, I'm sure there is heap like me out there that just don't get any good help when it comes to HIGH LEVEL SPORT training.

Awesome.
Irish

Postby artemis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Alan Bolton, the guy who runs extd1 is a sports physiologist(if I remember correctly) as well as a T1. He put me on the right track as far as my pre-breakfast exercise (walks or pool exercises) go.

Hey, Terry, great to hear from you again.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby terryleew » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Hey Irish, $85 is steep if you think of it as some free thing online, but I have to say it is a lot cheaper than any medical bill, and it is far from general. I should add, you also get a series of worksheets that you can use to calculate exactly what you need to do for your situation. Of course there is still some trial and error, but that is hopeless without really understanding the basics. In just four weeks I have shaved almost 12 seconds off my hill sprints on my road bike because I am operating at peak, rather than compromised by crap BSL's.

BTW, have been a bit busy changing jobs, careers, houses, networks and technologies etc, but back to some semblance of normality now!
terryleew

Postby jellybean » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi guys,

are u on insulin pumps?

I am a member of ext1d and have done all the modules but I was put off when it came to putting all the info in and thought I'll have to try and contend with that later...

Alan Bolton called me once, great guy, good informative conversation. He actually apologises for the fact there is a fee but he says it is purely to pay for the site expenses, etc he does all the internet work/programming himself (which is why it probably is a but "clunky" as you say) he does a lot of talks, lobbies the politicians about funding and research, he is a very good ambassador for us T1Ds.

I haven't logged in for a bit but I get lost with that dashboard, and I entered my Total daily basal and then tried to put the carb ration in and it changed the daily dose number...so i'm not sure, obviously i missing something in how to program it?
Jellybean
Diagnosed T1D Oct 1992, 14yrs old
jellybean

Postby terryleew » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:23 pm

No, I am a MDI devotee. I listened to all the pump info and it made sense to me, but then I didn't have to actually change a pump. Rather than using the dashboard, I was very successful using the exercise map and planner.

Really, all you are trying to work out is when to reduce your basal rate (about 90 minutes before) and then reducing the bolus for the next meal (if you exercised aerobically). If anaerobically then you might need to increase your bolus very slightly, or just go high for a little bit (that is what happens when I do weights).

Really, the value to me was really a better understanding of what was going on. I only used the dashboard once, but use the planner all the time, because I do lots of different types of activities.

You should drop Allan a line and explain how complex you find the dashboard. It is one of the weak points of the site that could do with some investment to clarify how to use it, with macros and a script that tells you what to do next and why as you go through it. But given the poor bloke did the whole thing himself, including teaching himself how to code, it is pretty impressive. I just wish one of the meter or pump companies would buy it from him, jazz it up and give everybody a log on. Better than free meters etc!
terryleew

Postby jellybean » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Totally agree about him getting one of the bigger companies backing him to give the funds to work on the site but he's done a great job and is an awesome guy.

My DE told me to drop about 50% basal an hour before aerobic exercise. But yes I found the modules so interesting, but I'm sort of lost on the dashboard.

Your info u just posted is helpful also. I love the pump (I got too busy with babies had to go on a pump coz I was too exhausted to remember to take my injections!) but there is a lot to be said for MDI...such as not being connected
to a machine and not have a tube that slips out and catches on the nearest door handle! Lol

Thanks for feedback, that's great ;-)
Jellybean
jellybean

Postby terryleew » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Reading the site and listening to the tutorials was the only time I have ever considered a pump, because it does sound a bit easier to do the management of multiple exercise types. I have forgotten a few injections in my time, but luckily I have early hyper symptoms that trigger me to test. Like Allan, I get itchy eyes quite early, which we both thought was unique to us!

Still, I will stick with the injections for now, because I can do it without thinking, and I am such a total clutz that I can imagine ripping out the line on a regular basis, particularly when I go flying over the handlebars of the mountain bike! Hats off to being a mum with D1, I had a tough enough time as a father when our gorgeous girl was younger...
terryleew

Postby jellybean » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 pm

well they tend to stick well if its a new site change so you won't rip it out on a door handle as much as you will be yanked back with it (not sure which is worse!)

Thank u, that is really nice of you to say, not easy especially since the kids, but 22 years of D later and I still have all my original organs and limbs :P guess it can't be too bad...wouldn't mind some family members seeing your comment though...they just doooooon't get it....guess that's why we have realitycheck.org.au ;-)
Jellybean
jellybean

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START