Diabetics living abroad

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Diabetics living abroad

Postby chirpy16 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:22 am

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there are any other Australian T1 diabetics living abroad?

I'm 36 years old and have been T1 for 28 years. A few years ago I left to backpack solo around the world, met my husband, and now 4 years later live in Galapagos, Ecuador. In regard to diabetes the transition from the Australian healthcare system to the Ecuador one has been challenging but for the most part manageable. The cost of insulin is significantly higher (I'm on Lantus and Humalog pens), as are test strips, but fortunately not so high they are unaffordable. However this does make a question when I go to test my sugar if it is worth the $2 price for every test, which is not a great thing. I have not seen a diabetic doctor in the past 2 years since I left Australia and whilst I know my sugar levels are quite good, it's at times isolating to not have the medical team I know well available to me. I've emailed my Endo in Australia to ask for her advice, as she suggested I do if I needed to, however have not heard back.

My husband and I are also thinking of becoming pregnant this year and after Googling ideal pregnancy sugar levels, though I have maintained excellent control my whole life, the "should be between 6 - 8mmol/L 2 hours after eating" is so difficult to achieve, causing me to have severe nighttime hypos at the moment that, for the first time in the my life, I'm concerned may actually kill me.

I'm wondering if there are any other diabetics living abroad and how you cope with adjusting to new healthcare systems, not very available medical professionals, and just get over the "I'm so fed up of being diabetic" thoughts that creep in.

Thanks,
Carly
chirpy16

Re: Diabetics living abroad

Postby mish_au » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi Carly,

I find it isolating and get fed up on an average day, so can't imagine how it is in Ecuador! I don't live overseas but have (and whilst pregnant) no where near as exotic as Galapagos sounds! The conflicting medical advice between countries also astounded me (UK, USA, Netherlands, Vietnam, Thailand, and Russia...)

I can only offer how I managed to keep my bgl's 'in range' and this was by lowering carb intake, and pre bolusing - whereas normally I just take my insulin as I eat, I'd take half my short acting 30-40 minutes before eating. So lots of planning. Then when you're pregnant insulin resistance can play havoc with bgls.

Good luck!
mish_au

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START