Antidepressants

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Antidepressants

Postby Sharona » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi
I've been prescribed an antidepressant -Zoloft.
I'm currently struggling with extreme anxiety and depression. I think 35 years with type 1 and several years with severe endometriosis is just all getting to me. Possibly also have gastroparesis which will be investigated soon.
Has anyone had experience with this drug ? Did it help ? Any tips for anxiety /depression also appreciated.
Sharon
Sharona

Re: Antidepressants

Postby artemis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi Sharona, No I don't think I was prescribed Zoloft, but I could have been when I had a couple of episodes of depression. What I actually found helpful was a counselling. Just talking to someone who didn't know me and wasn't judgmental, helped me enormously.

I'm awfully sorry you're having these problems. Gastroparesis is livable with ( I know, terrible grammar), and once you get onto the right medication or whatever for you, you will feel much better. I have had it for about 48 years, but it was 'only' diagnosed in 2004. Now on motilium and I can cope with it.

I'm sure there are others on RC who can help you more.

I wish you all the best.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Sharona » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you Jane. I appreciate your reply :)
Sharona

Postby mish_au » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Sorry to hear that you are having to go through all this.

I'm 31 years with T1 (diagnosed at 11). Over the last 15 years I've been through effexor, prozac, zoloft, pristiq, zanax plus a few others I can't recall the name of atm. I also take seroquel, and valium for when I experience panic attacks.

In my case (and everyone is different), I find they are very helpful (SSRI's take about 2 weeks to kick in), at 6 months I usually think - "I'm fine I don't need these anymore" (don't stop taking without your doctors advice), then around 9 - 12 months they seem to lose effectiveness. Hence my list as I've tried different options or changing doses.

Definitely recommend counselling like Artemis has. I've often found this more helpful. Especially if you find someone who has experience with long term illnesses.

T1D takes a huge amount of mental strength... constantly. You never get a break. And when you've got additional issues to deal with (like your endometriosis - bloody painful, and gastro paresis) it can really take a lot. So if you have someone to talk to who can understand, it can make a huge difference.

I have found meditation (I use a few podcasts) really helpful to centre and switch off my brain even if its for 20 minutes. There are also some quick 5 minute ones that I use at work when things get to much on that front. You might need to try a few different ones til you find your 'fit'.

Long walks, swimming laps, and yoga have also been great for me. I'm not good at them, but they're good for me.

But my friends and family have been life savers many times over for me. They see what I deal with and really get how relentless it can all be at times.

Good luck, it WILL get better, and I always remember what Dory says: 'just keep swimming'.
mish_au

Postby Sharona » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks mish_au.
I appreciate your reply. It's comforting to know that others have gone through the same thing and are doing ok.
I will definitely look into counselling and am trying meditation also.

It's been a bad day today. Ketones up for no apparent reason - not dangerously high or anything but enough to cause me more anxiety. I know stress itself does raise blood sugar and ketones. It's a vicious cycle but I will " just keep swimming" :)

Sharon
Sharona

Postby mish_au » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 am

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. But agree it can be a vicious cycle.

Remember we are more than our highs and lows! I really love the tattoo I see some Diabetics have gotten "I>*V".... the asterix should be an upside down v. I am greater (>) than Highs (up arrow/upside down v) and lows (V). We are more than our numbers!!

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/91568 ... s-and-lows
mish_au

Postby Sharona » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Oh I like that :) We are more than our numbers. I might even order one of those shirts.
Thanks.
Sharona

Postby Christhelegend » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am

Hi Sharona, it's a horrid thing to have depression and anxiety, i've been taking zoloft for the last 5 years and find it helps somewhat, the only side effects are when you start or change dose I find....I had a little bit of nausea, but it only lasted a few days.

I agree with Jane, finding someone to talk to has been the most beneficial. It can be a psychologist, it can be another person in health care or your barista! The main thing is they do need to be independent - family and friends can be sympathetic but they don't have the ability to objectively listen and not judge (even if they don't mean to, it will happen).

Good luck, remember there are a lot of people out there in the same boat, depression is unfortunately all to common in T1's.

Chris
Christhelegend

Postby Sharona » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks Chris. :)
Totally agree. Depression is far too common with type1 diabetes...... understandably so !!!!
Will definitely find someone to talk to as you and others have suggested.
Sharon
Sharona

Postby artemis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Sharon, you can get it covered by Medicare by getting a GP to refer you. Just like podiatry, physio or DE onsults, but you can have those plus a psychologist or counsellor.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby Sharona » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks Jane.
Yes I see my gp next week and was going to get that added to the Medicare EPC. I already have diabetic educator sessions in it so will also add psychologist/counsellor.
Sharon
Sharona

Postby mish_au » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Good luck Sharona.

If you can't get it on your diabetes health plan, you can get about 50% off with a mental health plan.

Keep us updated!
mish_au

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START