Consumer rights regarding returning a new pump

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Consumer rights regarding returning a new pump

Postby RedZ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Everyone,
I will try to keep this brief. We have been on an insulin pump for at least 6 years, and love love our pump. Never had issues so decided to stay with same pump.

We have just had a pump upgrade and during the first week the pump developed a fault which resulted in dangerous BGLS and wrong alerts. (The pump was set up with the company's rep and with the hospitals diabetes ed). I have set up this type of pump numerous times myself without issues. I have checked setting and everything matched old pump. When things got so bad I turned off the new pump and put on her old pump. She then had 12 hours of perfect bgls with her old pump on!!

Luckily we had diabetes clinic yesterday and as we also had a dexcom G5 so the clinic could see exactly when we put the old pump back on because everything returned to normal. They agreed there had been a problem.
We have no faith in this new pump and believe it should all be sent back. Just add we have used the same pump for several years without problem so clearly know how it works.

My child has been crying all weekend, barely slept all week and does not trust the pump. I believe the whole thing should be replaced. However, the pump company do not want to swap it out. However, I feel putting on a pump that she thinks is dangerous will affect how she manages her diabetes and do not want her to be in a constant state of worrying. I believe swapping it out, would ease her mind and she would be more confident and trust it.

What is our consumer rights is there a cooling off period? Can I demand a replacement pump?
Can I return the lot and go with another company? e.g if not fit for purpose must be returned withing 30 days etc.

Any input appreciated.
RedZ

Re: Consumer rights regarding returning a new pump

Postby artemis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am

Hi RedZ.

I've been thinking about this, and whilst I don't know anything about cooling off periods with regards to pumps, I'd suggest that you get in touch with Fair Trading and ask them. Have you spoken to your rep? She may be able to help you. My other thought is to get in touch with Diabetes Australia and speak to their Advocacy Officer.

I hope other people have some suggestions for you. Good luck with it. This is something that should not happen.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby RedZ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Thank you for your reply Artemis.

It is all sorted now, I told them I would not accept their original offer and only accept a new pump. The company has now agreed to replace the pump with another new one. I like the pump but believe we were unlucky in getting one with a fault.
My advice If anyone else has bother when a new pump has a fault, is stand your ground with customer service.
RedZ

Postby artemis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm so glad you have it sorted, RedZ. A faulty pump is something that should be replaced immediately, with no questions asked nor problems placed in the customer's way.

Good for you standing your ground.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START