Surgery with pump

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Surgery with pump

Postby Trudi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm

I know that this is not a place where medical advice is provided but just wanted to run something past everyone. My endo is on holiday and I'm about to have an unexpected surgery (minor - just a gastroscopy for coeliac check) but this will be the first time with a pump. In the past, I cut down on my long acting but it was still there in the background for the 24 hours. The fasting aspect isn't the problem, I'm worried about the basal. The surgeon has told me that I will be the first person booked in for surgery on the day - I'm thinking I'll just stay connected until I go in for surgery and then suspend and then reattach once I come out - what have others done in this situation?
Trudi

Re: Surgery with pump

Postby artemis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Trudi, I had a gastroscopy about 6 weeks ago. I just left the pump on, and put in a temp basal for about an hour. No problems at all. Hope this helps.
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby mish_au » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:23 pm

I've had a couple of surgeries with my pump. As you've said, I just put on temp basal for the surgery.
Someone - nurse, anaesthetist, doctor - took written advice from endo to check my sugars, and if below x then to disconnect pump. But that was for a longer surgery. I freak out when I'm not in control of my diabetes!!
Good you're first up, once I wasn't, and my surgery was delayed by a couple of hours - and couldn't eat or drink - started to freak that I'd go low! They just stuck me on a drip early!
Good luck!
mish_au

Postby Trudi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks Artemis and Mish - I really appreciate your comments - very reassuring
Trudi
Trudi

Postby mish_au » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm

oh one other thing I've found useful, is to put your site/canula in your upper arm as it is easier to clip onto the top of your gown, than if you have site on your belly/torso.
mish_au

Postby ali m » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 am

I've had an assortment of orthopaedic/tendon surgeries with my pump on, two under GA, many under local anaesthetic. Obviously there was no fasting for the many under local anaesthetic.

I kept my basal the same, as that's kind of what it's designed for, and fasted for the bare minimum time frame. Afternoons are actually better for me to fast on, as I get all sorts of "waking up low then brisk dawn phenomenon" sort of rubbish, no matter what I do with my basal.

For a fractured finger repair I went in with a BSL of 7.7, woke up at 6.8 2 hours later. For a tendon repair/reconstruction that involved steroids, I went in around 7, woke up at 16. But I felt amazing! I corrected smartly, increased my basal and then practically danced home. My arthritis had disappeared for the first time in 3 years. Unfortunately that only lasted 2 days.
ali m

Postby shadowlandr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 am

That is actually something that I have started to deal with-- yay, more complicated medical issues! because I have had to start dialysis in the last week. I mean, it's not at all inconvenient-- the dialysis place is perhaps ten minutes from my house, so all I do is load up all the fun technological stuff I have started to use-- pump, CGM plus a few snacks in case my sugars ever dip, and my laptop computer so I don't turn it into huge long session of "stare at the wall for three hours while I get dialyzed"-- I have also found that since they have cable TV there, I can at least entertain myself! And I always bring my cell phone so I can catch up with various people, so, other than being glued to a giant machine that cleans my blood for three hours, it's certainly not the worst thing that could happen to me.
So now Becky is on dialysis! I wonder how long it will take them to find that whole "kidney/pancreas/replacement nerves for all the ones that got taken out by my gastroparesis. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
Becky =) †
"Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation."
shadowlandr

Postby artemis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Oh, Becky. I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with dialysis. However, I love your attitude to it. I really admire the way you are dealing with it. I bet the first time you turned up the hospital staff thought you'd come to stay! You also make me realise how lucky I am that my CKD is stable. I hope everything turns out well for you. xxx
Jane
Infundo ergo sum.
artemis

Postby mish_au » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Hey Becky, sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. I hope it is going well.

Trudi - how did your op go? Any pump issues?
mish_au

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START