Fructose Malabsorption

This is a secure and safe place for people to bitch, moan, argue, or rejoice (yes, really) about having Type 1 Diabetes. If something has inspired you or enraged you, here's your opportunity to let everyone know.

Fructose Malabsorption

Postby genix » Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Does anyone have or know about fructose malabsorption. I have for about 12 months known I have this terrible affliction, up until recently it was only blended whole apples that made me sick. Only two nights ago while correcting my BG, I had a few of the TRUEPLUS raspberry glucose tabs and I had the sympoms of eating fructose. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of fructose in this brand of glucose tabs and or any info on fructose malabsorption?
genix

Re: Fructose Malabsorption

Postby Catapult » Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 am

Hi Genix

Do you still have the bottle the tablets came in to check ingredients? I've searched online and ingredients are not provided

I don't buy these anymore as even with Diabetes SA membership they costs $14 a bottle of 50

I buy Gluco Tabs on eBay and even importing them and paying shipping from a U.K. pharmacy by 8 bottles at a time they cost about $6 each. Orange is cheaper than raspberry. Ingredients are at least listed.

Possible contaminants in the glucose tablets are natural flavour, 'identical to natural flavour', citric acid, dextrose, maltodextrin. Where are all these sourced? From fruit? Maybe fructose crept in.

I hope you feel better now.

Cat.
Catapult
admin

Postby genix » Sun May 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Hey Cat, they were my thoughts exactly. So I then emailed TRUEcare asking about fructose in their TRUEplus glucose tabs and this is the reply they gave me:

The ingredients listed in our raspberry tablets are dextrose (glucose, made from corn), maltodextrin (white powder made from corn, rice, potato starch, or wheat), bulking agent, food acid, magnesium stearate, natural and artificial raspberry flavour, food acid, and colour.

As you can see there is a bit of room there to allow some fructose to slip through.
I have been buying dex4 from ebay now from the US, they cost $12 AU postage and $11 AU for bottles of 50 raspberry and blueberry flavours and I don't have any reaction to them, and to be honest they are very very tasty. Regarding the TRUEplus tabs I am not certain they caused my fructmal issues but it was between them and one slice of pizza I ate, so although there is some doubt I'm fairly sure it was the tabs and I dont really want to try them again on the off chance it is the tabs. Like you said, they are very dear and the tastier dex4 tabs are cheaper from the US.
genix

Postby melissa » Mon May 22, 2017 8:29 am

I have never even heard of fructose malabsorption before. I had all the lovely testing for coeliac last year because I had a lot of the symptoms, though it didn't seem to follow the pattern. Ended up with the gastro saying it's IBS and if you can live with it, it's easier than trying to work out what to avoid. Since I couldn't work out what set me off, I lived with it. Buut after a quick google search on this, I think I've found my issue! It all fits! I will have to look further into it because at first I thought great, it has a name but I can still just deal with it, but then I found that it can also cause - depression, anxiety, fatigue, headache, brain fog, craving for sugar and weight loss may appear. I have all of these except (of course) the weight loss.
I had pizza and icecream last night too, after spending Saturday drinking sweet wine at Lovedale Long Lunch (basically a big party in the vineyards in the Hunter Valley). My husband will want me to look further into this because he nearly had to leave the bedroom at one stage last night. Nasty, nasty side affects.
30+ years with D, two wonderful children
melissa

Postby genix » Mon May 22, 2017 11:48 am

Hey Melissa. it can be really nasty this fructose malabsorption, it actually makes me really sick and the first thing I notice is really bad smelling burps although it effects everyone differently. Fructmal is often confused for IBS, i think i read somewhere that over 70 % of people diagnosed with IBS actually are actually fructmals. I hope you have found what ails you as it will make your life so much easier.
genix

Return to MAIN FORUM - THE PLACE TO START